Question Noticeable improvement from I5-3350P to I5-7400?

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello, I was talking to a friend and he mentioned building a new computer, I asked where did he put the parts(specifically CPU), since my PC is pretty outdated, and he said they're just sitting.
I asked what the parts were and he answered that it's an I5-7400, then I said my mobo supports only 2nd/3rd gen CPU's and he said he would sell the CPU and mobo to me for 20 euro. I would need to buy ram, because currently using DDR3.
My question is, would I get a noticeable improvement by upgrading the CPU? Or are they pretty much similar and I wouldn't feel any improvement?
Thanks.
EDIT: GPU gigabyte 650Ti 2gb, 12GB DDR3.

Last edited:

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
I thought about buying it since I get the mobo, and in some time I'd get another CPU, maybe 7700K,7600K? Or is that also bad since 8th gen has more cores? I'll ask what the mobo is, maybe it supports 8th gen.

What exactly is the motherboard?
The price is right, and if you get a overclockable z motherboard, that might be a good budget start on a good upgrade.
The 3350P has a passmark rating of 6148 and a single thread rating of 1748.
The i5-7400 has a rating of 7331 and a single thread rating of 1949.
Really not so different.
The single thread rating is likely more important to gaming.
When buying new, go with current gen.
When buying used, the price/performance is what matters.

I suspect that for gaming you are now more limited by your graphics card than the cpu.
Run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I thought about buying it since I get the mobo, and in some time I'd get another CPU, maybe 7700K,7600K? Or is that also bad since 8th gen has more cores? I'll ask what the mobo is, maybe it supports 8th gen.
There are no motherboards that support a 7400 that also support 8/9th gen CPUs.

If you could find a cheap used 6th/7th gen i7 your plan to take that mobo and then upgrade CPU eventually might be viable. But from what I've seen 6th/7th gen CPUs haven't really dropped much in price, making them terrible value compared to more recent CPUs with higher core counts. I.e. a Ryzen 5 or 8/9th gen i5 are on par with an older gen i7 for usually a lot less money.