Noticed something strange about my 8700k overclocking

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I'm just played around with my overclocking settings. I usually have my 8700k overclocked to 4.8GHz on all cores with no AVX offset. I just tested some other settings and noticed something strange. I'm playing an older game (Dragon Age Inquisition, never did the dlc's and finally got to them) and notice the following:

With the normal above described overclock settings I have around 56C-59C processor temperature (according to afterburner/riva hud). The CPU utilization is staying pretty much between 18% and 23%. I earlier changed the overclock to 4.7Ghz with an AVX offset of -2. Now suddenly I have at the same game location/scene temps of 61C-64C and a processor utilization of 25%-30%. Nothing else really change. Same ambient temperatures, no other programs in the background, no change with the graphic settings. I changed the a couple of times between the two overclock settings and its always the same. (I play in 1440p WQHD with an older GPU and my system is highly GPU bottlenecked, so don't wonder about the low CPU percentages, new graphics card will come next month).

I was expecting lower temperatures with a lower CPU clock. But temps higher with the lower clock. Does anyone have an idea why this could be?

Solution
Well... Maybe it could be because of the Utilization of it.
Lets say a 100% Cpu temps are between 70-80 without OC.
And probably a 100% CPU temps will be between 75-87 with OC.
Remember, the more you use your CPU the more heat it will produce. So, the thing that OC produces more heat it is certainly true at a certain point too. Ofcourse, OCs that also have "Overvolting" will for sure produce more heat cause it will draw more power from the PSU aswel.

Ramlethal

Estimable
Well... Maybe it could be because of the Utilization of it.
Lets say a 100% Cpu temps are between 70-80 without OC.
And probably a 100% CPU temps will be between 75-87 with OC.
Remember, the more you use your CPU the more heat it will produce. So, the thing that OC produces more heat it is certainly true at a certain point too. Ofcourse, OCs that also have "Overvolting" will for sure produce more heat cause it will draw more power from the PSU aswel.

Solution