[SOLVED] Noticed something that is REALLY annoying me with Windows 10 and was hoping for some help.

Kingdookoo921

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
So, I have an issue with a damn window popping up. I get this thing flashing on my screen then INSTANTLY disappearing. I looked around, and people say that its supposedly Microsoft Office, but I don't even have that app or installed anywhere. Went through my programs and its not installed, I caught a very good glimpse of it recently and it looked like a CMD Prompt. I have no idea what it is, and its a real nuisance because I'll be playing a game and it basically tabs me out for a literally half second. Its REALLY annoying. Can someone help me out here?

Computer Specs are as follows:
Windows 10 (Obviously)
GPU: GTX 1070TI Duke
Motherboard: Aorus Z390 Ultra
RAM: 16GB GSkill Trident Z RGB Series (3200MHz)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 250GB
Storage/HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Supernova 650W Gold

Solution
Version is 1809, but this supposedly has been happening since Win 10 was launched for alot of people.

Pretty sure the problem i had a solution for was the Office one - that was 2 years ago, how time flies.

did you try clean boot?

Also, try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

event viewer might also give you a clue, look in Custom views/Admin events and look after next time it happens. Can ignore most errors in...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current (for a few more days) are 1803 and 1809

I only ask as there was a problem like this a few months ago, I haven't seen anything recently though

Try doing a clean boot and see if it continues with only windows running - read instructions carefully and make sure not to disable any microsoft services or Windows may not work right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, slowly add back in the programs you stopped over a number of startups and see if you can identify cause.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is some background app (i.e., AV, backup, update, utility) is running and, in turn, causing the pop-up. Either deliberately or due to some bug.

Check the Startup tab in Task Manager to determine what all is being launched at boot time. You should be able to identify and verify that those apps are necessary and/or desired.

Watching Processes and Resource Monitor may also help you identify the source culprit.

Google any suspect activity. Per @Colif, I also remember seeing a similar problem some time back.

Afterthought: also try using "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt - may find and fix some Windows related problem.

Kingdookoo921

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
Which version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current (for a few more days) are 1803 and 1809

I only ask as there was a problem like this a few months ago, I haven't seen anything recently though

Try doing a clean boot and see if it continues with only windows running - read instructions carefully and make sure not to disable any microsoft services or Windows may not work right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, slowly add back in the programs you stopped over a number of startups and see if you can identify cause.
Version is 1809, but this supposedly has been happening since Win 10 was launched for alot of people.

Kingdookoo921

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
My thought is some background app (i.e., AV, backup, update, utility) is running and, in turn, causing the pop-up. Either deliberately or due to some bug.

Check the Startup tab in Task Manager to determine what all is being launched at boot time. You should be able to identify and verify that those apps are necessary and/or desired.

Watching Processes and Resource Monitor may also help you identify the source culprit.

Google any suspect activity. Per @Colif, I also remember seeing a similar problem some time back.

Afterthought: also try using "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt - may find and fix some Windows related problem.
Well, none of that did the trick cause nothing fishy is there. Its all stuff I recognize, so I am really stumped on this one to be honest. I should mention to that it does it between every hour or every hour and 5 minutes, so I can't exactly pinpoint when it does it unfortunately.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Pretty sure the problem i had a solution for was the Office one - that was 2 years ago, how time flies.

did you try clean boot?

Also, try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

event viewer might also give you a clue, look in Custom views/Admin events and look after next time it happens. Can ignore most errors in here, only ones that are problems are Critical ones.

Task scheduler might help too, good idea.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

i only see it on my systems that have office 365 on them, it's probably some calling home stuff, but it only happens usually if at all, at the start of a session.

Kingdookoo921

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
I FOUND THE CULPRIT. It is task scheduler and is called this GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA. If I disable it, it just doesn't auto update things apparently. That's what it says, and only issues is security issues may arise.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you it is not malware or a virus, this computer is literally 2 days old, lmao.
This means nothing. Even the most experienced have installed virus same day as building a brand new system. Even going to a fake mobo support site for latest bios's and board drivers you can instantly perma infect a new build "not saying you did but it's possible" i got a brand new pc built by experts at a computer shop three days later they spent $2000 oitta pocket to build it again

Kingdookoo921

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
I FOUND THE CULPRIT. It is task scheduler and is called this GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA. If I disable it, it just doesn't auto update things apparently. That's what it says, and only issues is security issues may arise.
Update, found that Nvidia was also doing something and disabled that as they were both safe to disable. Might be fixed, but going to keep this thread open just in case those happen to NOT be it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

We also prefer that you don’t laugh at people who make Suggestions that you actually use to solve your problems