[SOLVED] Novice Question about Folder Encryption

Dec 22, 2020
Hi,

I was wondering about folder encryption with Veracrypt. Is it possible to discover the contents of an encrypted folder by looking at the computer it's on. For example, if I have cracked movies or games on an encrypted folder, can anyone look through my computer (which would not be encrypted) and determine what's on that encrypted folder?

Thanks in advance.

Edit 12/27: Thank you everyone for responding. I got my question answered. I'm new to asking questions on Tom's, so I don't know how to close out a forum.

Last edited:
Solution
A Veracrypt encrypted portion of the disk (done with 'create volume', shows up within Windows as a mounted separate disk) merely shows as a 'file', with no hints of contents within until after decryption and mounting....

There is no easy way to quickly 'right click, encrypt a folder or file with Veracrypt' as is done with 7-Zip, Ax Crypt, GPG4Win, etc..

popatim

Titan
They wouldn't be able to see the contents of the folder without breaking the encryption ...unless you have windows store the password, auto-unlock, or some other foolish thing.
They would be able to see you had a encrypted folder though; name it something people would expect to be encrypted like "Tax Documents"

Reactions: CrownedDolphin995

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they'd have to get to it with the folder unlocked. so long as you unlock it, then relock it when done, no one will be able to unlock it.

do be sure though to store the key somewhere other than the pc itself. if you have the key, then you have whatever is in the files. so store it somewhere safe so no one can get to it.

A Veracrypt encrypted portion of the disk (done with 'create volume', shows up within Windows as a mounted separate disk) merely shows as a 'file', with no hints of contents within until after decryption and mounting....

There is no easy way to quickly 'right click, encrypt a folder or file with Veracrypt' as is done with 7-Zip, Ax Crypt, GPG4Win, etc..

Solution
Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for helping me. I understand more now.

Dec 22, 2020
They wouldn't be able to see the contents of the folder without breaking the encryption ...unless you have windows store the password, auto-unlock, or some other foolish thing.
They would be able to see you had a encrypted folder though; name it something people would expect to be encrypted like "Tax Documents"
Thank you for responding. I like that idea. I think I'll actually use that. Nice and simple.

Dec 22, 2020

That's good to know. Thank you for responding and helping.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
really, it is not a matter of if but WHEN it happens. there is more than "cracked" software involved here as once you install it, then it'll be obvious you are using it since you can't hind that.

whatever you are doing that you want to try to protect others from finding out, you need to stop doing. cause once they do find out, the s**tstorm that will happen will not be a fun thing to sit through.

you need to spend some time learning a lot more before risking everything (and not just data) by messing with whatever you are messing with.