Now That’s A Big Chromebook: Acer Debuts 15.6-Inch Chromebook 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
If in top version we could replace Chrome by Linux would be an interesting machine...hell, even in low model, if we can replace ChromeOS by Linux it will be a much more productuve machine....in special *if* its a true SSD and *if* RAM can be upgradable.

scubadog40

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I don't understand why anyone would want a Chrome Computer. You have to have internet to use it. Tell me if I am wrong but we don't live in a world with internet everywhere.

Juggernaut666

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I love my Chromebooks (yes, plural, 2 original Samsung, Dell, HP Chromebox, and son has a Toshiba). Those of you asking for Linux are missing the boat. This is the perfect companion for travel, web browsing and simple tasks. No, it won't do heavy lifting, but that is not its purpose. Those of you asking for Linux on a Chromebook are expecting Corvette Performance at Yaris prices.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Celeron 3205U - 12.5% faster than 2955U on single-core and multi-core apps.
Broadwell i3-5005U - 49% faster than 2955U on single-core and multi-core apps.
Those values are peak theoretical numbers that you will not achieve. But the i3 CPU is a nice 30% bump in speed over the older i3-4005U found in existing c720 laptops.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Those of you asking for Linux are missing the boat. This is the perfect companion for travel, web browsing and simple tasks. No, it won't do heavy lifting, but that is not its purpose. Those of you asking for Linux on a Chromebook are expecting Corvette Performance at Yaris prices.
A Yaris with the ChromeOS package lacks A/C and a sound system. Also if you are drive on a back road all the lights and wipers cease working. On the plus side it has shiny rims. A Yaris with the Windows package costs about the same but it has A/C, a sound system, and the headlights and wipers work in all conditions on all roads. The Linux package is much the same as the Windows package, but comes equipped with a manual transmission and all the gauges are in Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.