Question Nowhere to connnect basic PC Speaker? Help debugging Asus P8H61-I that won't boot.

Mar 15, 2023
I have an Asus P8H61-I motherboard. I was upgrading my system so I removed it to install a new motherboard/CPU into the case. Long story, but the new one did not work so I went to put this back in (I did not remove CPU or CPU fan).

When I put it all back together, the system will no longer boot. I checked and double checked all connections, etc. and nothing happens when I hit the power switch on the case (I was able to have the power switch at least power on/off the other motherboard, so I know it is good). Same power supply and memory as before I removed it.

The only indication of life I get is the Green LED when I apply power from the motherboard (yes, both the 24 pin and CPU power supplies are connected).

I have checked the manual and motheboard, Ithink very thoroughly, and see now way to attach a little speaker to listen to beeps. Nothing comes up on the screen via the HDMI connection, either, which I believe was set to "auto" for video (I was running with an external graphics card before and had confirmed onboard worked some time ago).

Any idea on how to debug this? Am I just missing where the speaker would go?

Manual is here: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/p8h61-i/helpdesk_manual/

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I would expect that the rear lime colored (Line-out port) to work.

Check BIOS per Page 2-20. [2.5.7]

Failing that then double check the audio ports and connections.

FYI:

Page x in the User Manual lists:

--- Rear Ports = 3 x Audio jacks.

--- Interior Connectors = 1 x Front panel audio connector

= = = =

Page 1-2 (Item 11) references an Front Panel connector with further reference to Page 1-16, Section/Paragraph 7.

Note that there are two configurations possible: HD-Audio Compliant and Legacy.

Also shown on pages 1-10 and 1-11.

Just try plugging a small speaker or even headphones via the 3.5 mm (1/8") audio connections. Pay attention to a possible TS, TRS, or TRRS mismatch.

Mar 15, 2023
Thanks...no audio out of the green(or any) port in the back, unfortunately. I see all the connectors on the motherboard but I don't think any of them accept a basic 2 wire speaker in a 4-pin wide configuration.

d0b3752a-274b-4edc-8660-72eb4b879212_1.ac0eddce774d11e2ff92feb3b4bf2d64.jpeg

Reactions: Nathkrul
Mar 15, 2023
I got out my glasses and doulbe and triple checked and I am not finding it. Are one of the audio connectors multi-purpose and I am just not getting it? In picture from the manual (link below), connector 10 is for digital audio out, connect 11 is for front panel audio. I don't believe I can connect the speaker in the image above to either of these to act as a basic PC speaker and I can't find any other audio connectors on the motherboard. On another motherboard I have, it is clearly a speaker audio only connector- 4 pins wide with a pin on either end but no pins in the middle. It beeps and boops happily through that dedicated connection.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KmwmcZC9G4v-z-fD94qrfIAT51ivc5gg/view?usp=sharing

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
Thank you btw, unfortunately after trolling through the net and finding the correct manual, there is in fact nowhere to connect a speaker. Why they left it out, who knows?

The Asus site manual on that board is for another variation, hence the confusion, looks like you're back to square one.