NRG file to MP4 why is this such a pain...

Hello everyone, as always, when I post a thread it is something obscure, today it is video codecs giving me a headache.

I LEGALLY got my hand on an old recording of a Liszt piano concert that used to be on VCR and now is stored as a NRG file. The problem is, I cannot open this file with anything. I looked around online, and managed to turn it into an ISO, but I cannot get from ISO to MP4.

This is making no sense with how hard it is to find the right tool for the job. handbrake refuses to touch the ISO, and everything that pops us when I try to search ISO to MP4 involves ripping DVDs into ISOs, which I am not interested in doing, and also I am pretty sure that stuff is a legal grey area.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this darn NRG file into a MP4 (preferably really high bitrate to preserve as much as possible) without grabbing sketchy software I would be really appreciative. Also Not sure what forum to throw this in, but it takes place on my system, so I guess there?

Solution
An ISO/NRG/etc is a disk image file. You would have to mount the image first and *then* see what the actual file(s) inside are to convert.

What you're doing is the equivalent of trying to play Liszt's Totentanz (or whatever) from a *picture* of book it's in, rather than the score itself.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
An ISO/NRG/etc is a disk image file. You would have to mount the image first and *then* see what the actual file(s) inside are to convert.

What you're doing is the equivalent of trying to play Liszt's Totentanz (or whatever) from a *picture* of book it's in, rather than the score itself.

Solution
okay, sorry I pulled a blank as to waht mounting was.
I mounted it and I now have tow folders showing up on the virtual DVD disc Video_RM and Video _TS I cannot do anything with those folders though. Inside of them are VBO files along with .BUP .IFO .DAT files but nothing that seems like and actually playable file.

USAFRet

Titan

Drop that whole ISO onto VLC.
It should actually play it.

Indeed it was one of legends. 1996 Marc Andre Hamelin: All Liszt program.
Apparation I
Waldsrauschen
Un Sosprio
EDIT: forgot Hungarian Rhaspody 10
2nd Hungarian Rhapsody with Hamelin's own cadenza
Nuages gris
La lugubre gondola
Liszt - En rêve
Reminisces De Norma
ENCORES:
Transcendental etude 10
An etude from Étude en douze exercices
Tarantella
chasse neige (but the one from the first version of etudes before the transcendental etudes. (Étude en douze exercices))

Sadly I do not think the person I got it from would appreciate it if I went about handing it out. but I am sure it will resurface some time.