NT 4.0 BDC

walter

Does anyone know how long an NT 4.0 BDC can stay up after
it is disconnected from the PDC. 30 Days? 60 Days?

Thanks,
Walter

I am not sure I understand your question. A BDC
can stay up indefinately without the PDC. Now
when it comes to making security changes e.g.,
new users, new computers or change passwords
you need a PDC because the PDC holds the only
modifiable copy of the SAM. You can promote
the BDC to PDC. If you plan to bring back the
original PDC you can do so and choose to demote
it to BDC then promote it back to primary if you
want. When two PDCs are present you have to
demote one of them which overwrites the SAM.
If you make changes while the old PDC is gone
you'll want to retain those changes.