ntdll.dll error diagnosis

nathanmearl

Reputable
May 22, 2014
So, after doing some investigating into what was causing my explorer.exe to crash, I came across this error log in the event logs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 5/22/2014 5:55:33 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Nathan-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c4102
Faulting process id: 0x563c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf76081a025d0b
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know how to fix/diagnose this error?

Solution

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

We need more info on how IE is crashing in order to find out the cause.

Here are some possible solutions (from source)

1. Go to Internet Options > Advanced Tab > scroll down to the Security section and uncheck ‘Check for server certificate revocation‘. Restart IE, if it doesn’t solve the problem, try unchecking these two; ‘Check for publisher's certificate revocation’ and ‘Enable Integrated Windows Authentication‘. It’s unlikely but make a note of the original settings just in case things get worse.

2. It could be the result of a security setting being too strict. Go to Internet Options > Advanced Tab scroll down to the Security section for ‘Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks’. If it is present and ticked, remove the tick from it. Also, look at Internet Options > Security Tab and uncheck the box that says ‘Enable Protected Mode‘.

3. Run Internet Explorer with no add-ons, i.e. All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). If this behaves properly, it could be an add-on that is causing the issue, so open IE > Tools (press Alt if the menu bar is not showing) > Manage add-ons and check through the list for anything suspicious. The whole thing is reversible, so anything that you disable by mistake can be re-enabled.

4. Make sure Internet Explorer is the default browser by going to Internet Options > Programs Tab and click ‘Set programs'.

5. Reset Internet Explorer settings, i.e. Internet Options > Advanced Tab and click 'Reset' at the bottom. Use this only as a last resort as you will lose plugins, cookies, passwords, etc. which can be a little painful to recreate.

Solution

TimNOVA

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I realize I'm a little late to this thread but I figured I'd share my solution. Thanks to supasieu for pointing me in the right direction. None of the specific solutions mentioned did the trick but the solution was in internet options. The server's security settings rejected less secure protocols. By default my TLS1.1 and TLS1.2 options were not enabled in Advanced Internet Options. Enabling these protocols allowed me to reach my share.

Smokeyy

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I had the same issue on a users computer running windows 7 with IE 11
Tried all of the suggestions above with no luck

I did however resolve the issue with the following:

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off
2. Untick the box for Internet Explorer and reboot your PC
3. Once rebooted, for back in and re-tick the box for Internet Explorer and reboot again

Zaybo_

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015