NTFS errors chkdsk /r or /f won't fix

When I run chkdsk (or Norton disk doctor) on my c: drive, errors are
reported, but running chkdsk with either the /f or /r options does not
fix them. The error reported by chkdsk is:

"Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap
Windows found problems with the file system
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these"

Norton Disk Doctor simply reports "errors found" for the Security
Descriptors portion of the check.

I have run chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r both from the Recovery Console and
from Windows. I also ran the drive manufacturer's (Maxtor)full
diagnostic on the hard drive, and the drive passed.

BTW, when I ran the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, it took forever
to get through the 4th (I think) phase, with the percent complete twice
dropping back to 50% after it had already gotten past 65%. Afterwards,I
ran chkdsk again in Windows and it reported finding stuff like lost
clusters and file fragments.

I have seen no indication of any problems when running any applications;
the computer seems to be running fine except for the chkdsk report.

I did a Google search on this problem and found indications of others
reporting the same problem in various chat and newsgroups, but I
couldn't find any definitive answers.

Anyone know what's going on? Is this something to worry about?

CHKDSK in R mode runs 3 diffrent functions,you'll always get the restart
after about 75%,then starts again at 50%,normal operation...Try in xp,run,
type:cmd In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When it starts,install xp cd,exit the
info
screen,when its thru,type:EXIT You might re-run CHKDSK C: /R In recovery.

Andrew E. wrote:
> CHKDSK in R mode runs 3 diffrent functions,you'll always get the restart
> after about 75%,then starts again at 50%,normal operation...Try in xp,run,
> type:cmd In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When it starts,install xp cd,exit the
> info
> screen,when its thru,type:EXIT You might re-run CHKDSK C: /R In recovery.
>
> "Jim Colletti" wrote:
>

>>When I run chkdsk (or Norton disk doctor) on my c: drive, errors are
>>reported, but running chkdsk with either the /f or /r options does not
>>fix them. The error reported by chkdsk is:
>>
>>"Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap
>>Windows found problems with the file system
>>Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these"
>>
>>Norton Disk Doctor simply reports "errors found" for the Security
>>Descriptors portion of the check.
>>
>>I have run chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r both from the Recovery Console and
>>from Windows. I also ran the drive manufacturer's (Maxtor)full
>>diagnostic on the hard drive, and the drive passed.
>>
>>BTW, when I ran the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, it took forever
>>to get through the 4th (I think) phase, with the percent complete twice
>>dropping back to 50% after it had already gotten past 65%. Afterwards,I
>>ran chkdsk again in Windows and it reported finding stuff like lost
>>clusters and file fragments.
>>
>>I have seen no indication of any problems when running any applications;
>>the computer seems to be running fine except for the chkdsk report.
>>
>>I did a Google search on this problem and found indications of others
>>reporting the same problem in various chat and newsgroups, but I
>>couldn't find any definitive answers.
>>
>>Anyone know what's going on? Is this something to worry about?

Tried your suggestion and ran sfc /scannow. Did not fix the problem.

Jim Colletti wrote:
> When I run chkdsk (or Norton disk doctor) on my c: drive, errors are
> reported, but running chkdsk with either the /f or /r options does not
> fix them. The error reported by chkdsk is:
>
> "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap
> Windows found problems with the file system
> Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these"
>
> Norton Disk Doctor simply reports "errors found" for the Security
> Descriptors portion of the check.
>
> I have run chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r both from the Recovery Console and
> from Windows. I also ran the drive manufacturer's (Maxtor)full
> diagnostic on the hard drive, and the drive passed.
>
> BTW, when I ran the chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, it took forever
> to get through the 4th (I think) phase, with the percent complete twice
> dropping back to 50% after it had already gotten past 65%. Afterwards,I
> ran chkdsk again in Windows and it reported finding stuff like lost
> clusters and file fragments.
>
> I have seen no indication of any problems when running any applications;
> the computer seems to be running fine except for the chkdsk report.
>
> I did a Google search on this problem and found indications of others
> reporting the same problem in various chat and newsgroups, but I
> couldn't find any definitive answers.
>
> Anyone know what's going on? Is this something to worry about?
I found a forum where this problem was discussed. The conclusion there
was that the chkdsk errors are normal because "the volume isn't locked."
The suggested solution was to get volchk from the win2k3 resource kit.
They said it creates a static image of the volume info and runs a
check on that. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? If this is true,
then why isn't everyone having the same problem? Is the resource kit
available to anyone, or does it have to be purchased?

BTW, there's a couple of new wrinkles. First of all, Norton Disk Doctor
intermittently reports no errors if I run it several times repeatedly
(this symptom was also reported in the post on that other forum.
Secondly, I'm having the same problem on the other computer on my home
network.

rock_17

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
i have the same problem. i caused this myself by running a command in command prompt when my virus checker said warning c file page system wont open when i was doing a virus scan.so i copied and pasted that in cmd and then i ended up with the problems you are having but my computer runs fine just a file error is all it is. when i find the fix i will post it here i am working on it now(c file page system is your documents and settings)memo i also made all my files and folders private this may have been why they wont open for virus checker