NTFS external hard drive is unaccessible

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Ok so, I have a 500GB external hard drive. I haven't used it in a couple of months and just plugged it in, however its deciding that it is not accessible for whatever reason, giving me the error "E:/ is not accessible. Access is denied". It also says that there is no available space on it and that it has no space being used. Its a My Passport, Western Digital external 500GB hard drive and I have not used it in forever so this is really confusing. Any help here?

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I can't error check because it says that Windows cannot access the disk. Defragmenter is able to analyze it however

Weird. hmm do you have another computer to plug it in real quick?

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I'm trying but it has to do the Installing Device Driver stuff. Windows 7, both computers

EDIT: My laptop is able to access it in full

Okay plug it back in on the other comp and try this
1. click on start
2. type administrative tools
3. click on computer management
4. click on disk management
5. the drive you want will show as a "foreign" hdd
6. right click and choose import foreign disk

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/837bb33a-d137-4965-9e1a-cc0d1b278448/access-denied-to-external-hard-drive-on-windows-7?forum=w7itproperf

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Yea um...its not showing as foreign

It is never the first thing that would be too easy.
Lets try this then:
Go to the top level of the folder structure and open the Properties for it. From the Security tab, select the Advanced button. From the default Permissions tab, add yourself to the list and check off the option Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object, hit ok. Reopen the Advanced Security Settings, go to the Owner tab, edit, add yourself again and check off Replace owner on sub container and objects.

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I get to the Permissions tab and then what you say stops being options listed. It says I need to take ownership of the device to view security properties and that won't work because access is denied still

In case I missed a step I found a tutorial with pictures
http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/

Imm0rt41

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

That doesn't work because that's getting ownership with windows able to access the drive. I'm currently pulling files off it and then I'm going to reformat the rest of it and hope that works

Ahh gotcha. That's about all that's left so tell us how it goes.