Question NTFS FILE SYSTEM Blue Screen problems

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I've been trying to fix a particularly frustrating issue with a recurring blue screen on an older PC.

Specs:
Intel i5-10400F
MSI B460M PRO-VDH
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB
SK Hynix Gold S31 1TB SSD
EVGA 600w PSU
EVGA GTX 970

The user upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 recently after they had some blue screen errors when playing a game (Palworld) and since they've upgraded they can't boot into windows or recovery

No matter what I've done the PC continually hits a Blue Screen with the error being NTFS FILE SYSTEM.

Can get into bios fine, but no matter what I've tried the same blue screen happens (even if I try to boot from a Win 11 USB install stick.

I tried to disable all of the other drives in the bios to ensure it would only boot from the USB but the issue persists.

I'm thinking it's a disk issue, but because when it's disabled the error still persists I'm not entirely sure.

What else should I check or look into? The user wants to replace whatever isn't working, but right now I'm not entirely sure what the faulty component is...

Summary of what I've tried:
Disable/enable secure boot
Disable/enable TPM
Enable XMP
Tried to boot into safe mode (doesn't work)
Boot from usb to reinstall windows 11 (doesn't work, still blue screens after a short while loading)

My gut says to replace the SSD as a ntfs file system error is likely related to the disk, but I'm really not sure. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can get into bios fine, but no matter what I've tried the same blue screen happens (even if I try to boot from a Win 11 USB install stick.
You shouldn't get same BSOD booting from a USB, that doesn't sound like it booted off USB but tried normal drive. Does that bios have boot override as I can't tell from the manual - might be on boot or save/exit screen.
Boot override would let you boot off USB without messing with boot order.

disabling secure boot could help boot off USB as well.

tried running installer without ssd in pc? Just curious if you get same error... sure, it can't actually install but its a test.

My gut says to replace the SSD as a ntfs file system error is likely related to the disk, but I'm really not sure.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
File system error obviously is related to corrupted file system on disk.

Get USB SATA adapter.
Connect the drive to a working pc with USB sata adapter.
Run chkdsk on the drive. Or clean it with diskpart clean.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Try booting a Linux distro off the USB drive. Most of these will run off the USB drive and don't need installing - or access to any other drives. Try every USB port if it fails on one of them.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Linux doesn't have native support for NTFS.
That's not relevant. There is a question about whether one of his drives is causing the failure to boot, whether it's some other hardware problem, or whether it's a Windows problem. A Linux boot will show whether the basic hardware is good or not, it won't matter that he can't access the drives.

If Linux won't boot or run then it's 100% a hardware issue. If it does boot and run then I'd next try booting the Windows installation media with all drives removed.

ubuysa

Distinguished
I understand that but one thing I've learned is that error messages aren't always to be taken as gospel. It is possible for an error in one place to only be caught by the kernel later down the line when it looks like a different error.

My thinking was that it may becwise to confirm that the main hardware is good via Linux. If that's OK then remove all drives and see whether the Windows install USB will boot. If it does then we can be confident that a drive is the actual cause.