NTFS filesystem portability-USB drive

David

We intend to use a USB drive formatted w/NTFS to transfer large files
between systems on different domains. Is there anything that we need to do
to avoid having issues with NTFS security? The files are too large to use
fat32.

In article <fGkxc.56002$j24.21755@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
David <dmjunk2.lessthis@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>We intend to use a USB drive formatted w/NTFS to transfer large files
>between systems on different domains. Is there anything that we need to do
>to avoid having issues with NTFS security? The files are too large to use
>fat32.

There's been some issues with "versions" of ntfs in the past. I don't
know what happens if you format a disk under XP and then mount it on
w2k with anything but the latest service pack.
--
Al Dykes
-----------

David

This should be W2000 to W2000, if I am not mistaken. I will have a unit in
here to play with real soon now....

> In article <fGkxc.56002$j24.21755@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> David <dmjunk2.lessthis@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> >We intend to use a USB drive formatted w/NTFS to transfer large files
> >between systems on different domains. Is there anything that we need to
do
> >to avoid having issues with NTFS security? The files are too large to
use
> >fat32.
> >

> There's been some issues with "versions" of ntfs in the past. I don't
> know what happens if you format a disk under XP and then mount it on
> w2k with anything but the latest service pack.
> --
> Al Dykes
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Dave,
I have used a number of external storage devices (USB type)in this same kind of situation and never ran into any problems regarding security when transfering files over to another system. I do know that once you move them over to the new system, you will need to check the properties of the new folder placement on the destination unit. The files are flagged as read only by Win 2K security but thats an easy fix. Note that on XP or 2003 this is not the case. Could microsoft have fixed it? Hmmm. Hope this helps

Dave

David

Thanks. I was hoping that it would be that simple.