Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry

I have hard drive installed as slave in my computer. I am running win xp
home addition and slave drive is formatted in ntfs. I want to give it to my
daughter the slave drive, but she can only use it as fat32. Can anyone
explain to me how to format or ?? so she can use it as slave in her
computer?
There is no operating system on drive. I just want to wipe it clean so she
can use as fat32 file system. I hope I have expressed clearly .
Thank you very much.
jsm

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:25:56 GMT, jerry wrote:

> I have hard drive installed as slave in my computer. I am running win xp
> home addition and slave drive is formatted in ntfs. I want to give it to my
> daughter the slave drive, but she can only use it as fat32. Can anyone
> explain to me how to format or ?? so she can use it as slave in her
> computer?
> There is no operating system on drive. I just want to wipe it clean so she
> can use as fat32 file system. I hope I have expressed clearly .
> Thank you very much.
> jsm

You can do the format while the drive is still on your system. Open Disk
Management (in the Administrative Tools), select the drive, right click and
select to Format using FAT32. If that option doesn't present itself, delete
the existing partition on the drive. Recreate it and then format.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi, Jerry.

You didn't say how large that HD is. If it is less than 32 GB, use Disk
Management to reformat it, as Sharon said.

If it has more than 32 GB in a single partition, WinXP can't format it as
FAT32. In that case, you can use DM to repartition it into smaller
partitions and format those. Or you can boot into MS-DOS (using an MS-DOS
boot floppy) and use FDISK and Format.com to delete and recreate partitions
(if necessary) and format them FAT32. You can do this on her computer. Or
you can do it on your computer - if it has a floppy disk drive - by creating
an MS-DOS boot floppy, adding the FDISK and Format programs, and booting
from that. You could even use DM to create the partition, then let her
computer format it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jerry" <jerrymur@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have hard drive installed as slave in my computer. I am running win xp
>home addition and slave drive is formatted in ntfs. I want to give it to
>my daughter the slave drive, but she can only use it as fat32. Can anyone
>explain to me how to format or ?? so she can use it as slave in her
>computer?
> There is no operating system on drive. I just want to wipe it clean so
> she can use as fat32 file system. I hope I have expressed clearly .
> Thank you very much.
> jsm

Jerry

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Jerry.
>
> You didn't say how large that HD is. If it is less than 32 GB, use Disk
> Management to reformat it, as Sharon said.
>
> If it has more than 32 GB in a single partition, WinXP can't format it as
> FAT32. In that case, you can use DM to repartition it into smaller
> partitions and format those. Or you can boot into MS-DOS (using an MS-DOS
> boot floppy) and use FDISK and Format.com to delete and recreate
> partitions (if necessary) and format them FAT32. You can do this on her
> computer. Or you can do it on your computer - if it has a floppy disk
> drive - by creating an MS-DOS boot floppy, adding the FDISK and Format
> programs, and booting from that. You could even use DM to create the
> partition, then let her computer format it.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX