NTLDR file is missing - reformat does not work

Hello,

I have been having this problem for several weeks now and I have been
unable to find a solution. I keep getting the "NTLDR file is missing,
CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" message whenever I boot my PC up.

The only way to boot up my computer is to leave the XP cd inside the
CD-ROM and have it use the boot files on the CD. But it's been getting
annoying having to put the CD in there everytime I want to boot my PC.

-I've looked through the newsgroups for advice and look at some of
Microsoft's KB article but have not found anything that works.

-I've tried copying the NTLDR, NTDECTECT.com, and the boot.ini from the
XP cd but that hasn't worked. I tried doing a fixmbr and fixboot that
does not work.

-Tried using the Repair option from the XP cd and that did not work.

-Finally reformatted my hard drive using NTFS and I still am getting
that error.

I am starting to think that this is not a software issue but more of a
hardware issue. Can anyone let me know what they think about this
situation?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hey boss, do this REFORMAT, but in this case i would
say that delete your old partition then creat a new after just install
windows as normal thats all boss.

i've had this issue so many times i've lost count. try that and everything
should be ok because sometimes even you copying the NTDECTECT.com file still
does'nt work sometimes (most in my case).

if you dont know how to make a partiton(s) :

you can make a partition using Fdisk command in DOS Or use the windows xp
installation when installing winodow at the start. just read the screens and
you i'll see it,

"nathanfong888@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been having this problem for several weeks now and I have been
> unable to find a solution. I keep getting the "NTLDR file is missing,
> CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" message whenever I boot my PC up.
>
> The only way to boot up my computer is to leave the XP cd inside the
> CD-ROM and have it use the boot files on the CD. But it's been getting
> annoying having to put the CD in there everytime I want to boot my PC.
>
> -I've looked through the newsgroups for advice and look at some of
> Microsoft's KB article but have not found anything that works.
>
> -I've tried copying the NTLDR, NTDECTECT.com, and the boot.ini from the
> XP cd but that hasn't worked. I tried doing a fixmbr and fixboot that
> does not work.
>
> -Tried using the Repair option from the XP cd and that did not work.
>
> -Finally reformatted my hard drive using NTFS and I still am getting
> that error.
>
> I am starting to think that this is not a software issue but more of a
> hardware issue. Can anyone let me know what they think about this
> situation?
>
> Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I would disconnect every drive except your hard drive and see if you get the
same message. I've seen something similar when the CD-ROM was set to be a
slave drive to a hard drive but the IDE cable was connected incorrectly.

<nathanfong888@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been having this problem for several weeks now and I have been
> unable to find a solution. I keep getting the "NTLDR file is missing,
> CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" message whenever I boot my PC up.
>
> The only way to boot up my computer is to leave the XP cd inside the
> CD-ROM and have it use the boot files on the CD. But it's been getting
> annoying having to put the CD in there everytime I want to boot my PC.
>
> -I've looked through the newsgroups for advice and look at some of
> Microsoft's KB article but have not found anything that works.
>
> -I've tried copying the NTLDR, NTDECTECT.com, and the boot.ini from the
> XP cd but that hasn't worked. I tried doing a fixmbr and fixboot that
> does not work.
>
> -Tried using the Repair option from the XP cd and that did not work.
>
> -Finally reformatted my hard drive using NTFS and I still am getting
> that error.
>
> I am starting to think that this is not a software issue but more of a
> hardware issue. Can anyone let me know what they think about this
> situation?
>
> Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

nathanfong888@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been having this problem for several weeks now and I have been
>unable to find a solution. I keep getting the "NTLDR file is missing,
>CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" message whenever I boot my PC up.
>
>The only way to boot up my computer is to leave the XP cd inside the
>CD-ROM and have it use the boot files on the CD. But it's been getting
>annoying having to put the CD in there everytime I want to boot my PC.
>
>-I've looked through the newsgroups for advice and look at some of
>Microsoft's KB article but have not found anything that works.
>
>-I've tried copying the NTLDR, NTDECTECT.com, and the boot.ini from the
>XP cd but that hasn't worked. I tried doing a fixmbr and fixboot that
>does not work.
>
>-Tried using the Repair option from the XP cd and that did not work.
>
>-Finally reformatted my hard drive using NTFS and I still am getting
>that error.
>
>I am starting to think that this is not a software issue but more of a
>hardware issue. Can anyone let me know what they think about this
>situation?
>
>Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console using the
intallation CD and then enter the following command:

BOOTCFG /REBUILD

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--