NTLDR is missing of HP pavilion 750n

planet

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I bought a HP pavilion 750n PC 8 to 9 years ago. The hard disk died one year ago. I got a new hard disk, and tried to install a Windows XP on this new hard disk. After the system copied all the installation files into the hard disk, and the PC re-starts from the new hard disk, and then the screen shows "NTLDR is missing". I could not install the Windows XP on this new hard disk. I did this several times, but always got “NTLDR is missing”.

Does anybody know how to install a Windows system on the new hard disk?

Solution
Strange. Here are some more things to try:

Change the IDE cable, make sure the drive is set to master, and that it is connected to the END of the cable.

In the BIOS, make sure the drive is set to auto, and make sure there are no other hard drives installed until AFTER you can boot correctly.

When you try to reinstall, make sure you perform a full format as NTFS.

planet

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Thank you for the response. The partition (I am installing) is 20GB, and the XP system disc is a base XP disc. I have no problem to install the XP system on this hard disk with this XP disc on another PC.

Thanks again!

Strange. Here are some more things to try:

Change the IDE cable, make sure the drive is set to master, and that it is connected to the END of the cable.

In the BIOS, make sure the drive is set to auto, and make sure there are no other hard drives installed until AFTER you can boot correctly.

When you try to reinstall, make sure you perform a full format as NTFS.

Solution

planet

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for the tricks PhilFrisbie!

Actually I did nearly everything you mentioned before, but didn’t reformat the hard drive. This time I selected the reformatting when I installed the system, and it resolved this problem. The XP system was installed on that hard drive successfully.

Thank you again!