I have replaced a HD in my sons pc. the old one had died.
I can't get it to boot up. I have loaded xp pro sp2 on the new HD on a
different pc.
it looks as though although the HD is being detected by BIOS I can never get
it to boot up and am getting ntldr is missing error messages as well as the
odd blue screen and HAL.dll missing on other occasions.
it tries to boot from cd but never actually does.
have tried using setup disks to no avail
also can't get a cmd prompt to do chkdisk but could be doing that wrong as I
have never really done dos!
Have tried modifying the boot ini using the catch all boot disks flying
about but not having any luck whatsoever with it and have ran out of ideas.
any help appreciated

ddddddave

You need to run windows setup on the pc it's going to run on so the correct
hardware detection will take place.

To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"dddddave" wrote:
|I have replaced a HD in my sons pc. the old one had died.
| I can't get it to boot up. I have loaded xp pro sp2 on the new HD on a
| different pc.
| it looks as though although the HD is being detected by BIOS I can never
get
| it to boot up and am getting ntldr is missing error messages as well as
the
| odd blue screen and HAL.dll missing on other occasions.
| it tries to boot from cd but never actually does.
| have tried using setup disks to no avail
| also can't get a cmd prompt to do chkdisk but could be doing that wrong as
| have never really done dos!
| Have tried modifying the boot ini using the catch all boot disks flying
| about but not having any luck whatsoever with it and have ran out of
ideas.
| any help appreciated
|
| --
| --
| --
| --
| ddddddave

Just some thoughts/ questions,

what kind of hd is it?
did you format it to be a boot drive?
are the jumpers, if any, set right?
is it plugged in right? (ie, primary master)
does BIOS detect it?
is it a supported drive by the computer your putting it in? (ie ATA
100, 133 etc...)
is the boot order set right in BIOS?
have you cleared/ reset DMI pool by removing the CMOS battery or
whatever method this PC uses?

lastly, I never could install windows on one PC then stick the hard
drive in another PC and expect it to work. something to do with
copyrights....

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:42c9bb85$0$2065$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net,
dddddave <dddddave@gmail.com> had this to say:

> I have replaced a HD in my sons pc. the old one had died.
> I can't get it to boot up. I have loaded xp pro sp2 on the new HD on a
> different pc.
> it looks as though although the HD is being detected by BIOS I can
> never get it to boot up and am getting ntldr is missing error
> messages as well as the odd blue screen and HAL.dll missing on other
> occasions. it tries to boot from cd but never actually does.
> have tried using setup disks to no avail
> also can't get a cmd prompt to do chkdisk but could be doing that
> wrong as I have never really done dos!
> Have tried modifying the boot ini using the catch all boot disks
> flying about but not having any luck whatsoever with it and have ran
> out of ideas. any help appreciated

Chances are you need a repair installation and then to update it.

How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

"needlove" <needlove@aw.are> wrote in message
> Just some thoughts/ questions,
>

> what kind of hd is it?

western digital

> did you format it to be a boot drive?

Yes on the other pc using the software that came with the hard drive

> are the jumpers, if any, set right?

Yes

> is it plugged in right? (ie, primary master)
Think so, how do i check?

> does BIOS detect it?
Bios sees it and have confirmed via auto detect

> is it a supported drive by the computer your putting it in? (ie ATA 100,
> 133 etc...)

it is IDE

> is the boot order set right in BIOS?

SEEMS SO floppy>cdrom> HD

> have you cleared/ reset DMI pool by removing the CMOS battery or whatever
> method this PC uses?

Never done that before

> lastly, I never could install windows on one PC then stick the hard drive
> in another PC and expect it to work. something to do with copyrights....

A last resort, beside i'd pulled all my hair out!

"dddddave" <dddddave@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have replaced a HD in my sons pc. the old one had died.
> I can't get it to boot up. I have loaded xp pro sp2 on the new HD on a
> different pc.
> it looks as though although the HD is being detected by BIOS I can never
> get
> it to boot up and am getting ntldr is missing error messages as well as
> the
> odd blue screen and HAL.dll missing on other occasions.
> it tries to boot from cd but never actually does.
> have tried using setup disks to no avail
> also can't get a cmd prompt to do chkdisk but could be doing that wrong as
> I have never really done dos!
> Have tried modifying the boot ini using the catch all boot disks flying
> about but not having any luck whatsoever with it and have ran out of
> ideas.
> any help appreciated

> ddddddave

it was the cdrom that wasn't working!!!
it was looking for ntldr on the cd and that was as far as I could get it to
go!!!!!

does anyone know the NG for replacing hair follicles?

ddddddave

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:42cc5c36$0$28473$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net,
dddddave <dddddave@gmail.com> had this to say:

> it was the cdrom that wasn't working!!!
> it was looking for ntldr on the cd and that was as far as I could get
> it to go!!!!!
>
> does anyone know the NG for replacing hair follicles?

alt.binary.hairclub.for.men (Okay, so I'm making that up really.)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes