[SOLVED] ntoskrnl.exe (and sometimes hal.dll) BSOD at every start of some video games.

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
So I've attempted to reinstall my Windows in hoping to get rid of ntoskrnl.exe BSOD at every time I play a game such as Destiny 2 / Rising Storm 2. But I've done it tonight and still got the BSODs with the same source (ntoskrnl.exe and sometimes with hal.dll). PC just bought new (like 4 months ago) with each part has their boxes given by the store (RAM, CPU, Motherboard, VGA, PSU etc.). I have done everything including :
  • Cleaning up the case (which is not that dirty).
  • Memtest86 with no error found.
  • chkdisk, sfc scannow with no error found.
  • Checking if there's any outdated driver by right-clicking it > Update Driver > Search automatically for any updated driver . . .
  • Uninstalling AVG and Malwarebytes.
  • And just like I told, I've reinstalled my windows (Win 10) last night, but when I started the Destiny 2 game, the computer freezes and buzzing sound came up from the speaker for a while and after 2-3 mins there was a BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION message. On different games, for instance (with not that low graphic effort) Metro: Exodus and Dota 2, I can complete the game from start to the end with no BSOD at all!p
Here's the capture of temperature/mem usage while it's currently freezing.

VXgdDnx.jpg

And here are the dump files of the BSODs (which occur after I reinstalled my windows) :

Any reply would be helpful :D,
Thanks.

Solution
I'm starting to suspect the outdated motherboard driver OR PSU problem since it always blames many drivers here and there.

what brand ram is that? I can't tell from the info bios supplies.
Its code is difficult to find on Google - D4H8GL24A8

could be BIOS. There are 3 new ones since the one you are on but the last one is a Beta so unless your ram is from KIngston, I would stop on F12... you currently on F10 - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/H310M-DS2-20-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

If memtest wasn't showing ram as fine, I would be looking at it as well as PSU for errors that bounce around system and never get fixed.

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Also i want to mentioned, that between the 2 BSODs dump i've mentioned, i updated the VGA card. But that still doesn't help me get rid of the BSOD. But at least it removes the blame on nvlddmkm.sys (on the 2nd dump)

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Ah. Ok, pal. I'll actively monitor this thread though ;) ,

Also, i've got some additional dumps for ya.

I've just run the OCCT software and picked up the OCCT's 3D test. Running it for like 10 mins and another BSOD occurs : WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I ran the test one more time and a similar BSOD occurred again. After that 2nd run, i let my PC to run the Destiny 2 game and got another WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD. Looking at those 3 dumps i noticed there's a new driver to blame : PSHED.dll. It got blamed at all 3 dumps.

Here's attached all those 3 dumps I've been talking about :
Also, i've done another test using Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and got no Error 🤗 .

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://retentivepresent.htmlpasta.com/
File information:040520-9593-01.dmp (Apr 5 2020 - 06:47:48)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:040520-9562-01.dmp (Apr 5 2020 - 06:34:19)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OCCTGPUDX11.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:040520-9343-01.dmp (Apr 5 2020 - 06:04:01)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:040520-8531-01.dmp (Apr 4 2020 - 23:14:53)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:040520-8171-01.dmp (Apr 4 2020 - 23:37:21)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: destiny2.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-DS2-20-rev-10
There are BIOS updates available for your system. You are using version F10 and the latest is version F13a. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors can be caused by heat so if you were running OC software, it could have been that? Had you had any before?

The DPC error looks like it was caused by a USB device.
error stack text mentions USBXHCI! which is the USB extensible control interface (part of windows)
I don't see any USB devices in driver list, whats attached to PC?

Specs
Gigabyte H310M DS2 2.0
Intel i7-8700 @ 3.2GHZ
What drives?
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1050TI
PSU - COUGAR VTE500 80 Plus Bronze 500W
anything else?

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @gardenman, thanks for the information, I might consider updating the BIOS at some time.

Hi, @Colif I don't have any OC software and or any OC experience apart from the stress test software OCCT. For the USB, there are 3 ports and 2 ports are being used by a wired Keyboard and a wireless Mouse Adapter. For the Storage Drives, I use Colorful SL500 240GB SDD (where my Windows is installed at) and Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD.

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Also, I want to mention another story, I thought my BSODs only occur when I'm starting some video games (like Destiny 2). Turns out I was wrong, today I'm on full-time-working-from-home. Morning to Evening seems pretty good until like an hour ago, my PC gave me a buzzing sound with nothing responds on the screen. I even captured a video for it :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CaONxcSxTx2Pt24ZmlmOCmY0cCuPy1o0

Thus, I was forced to hard reboot my PC via the restart button on the case. After I arrived at the desktop, I opened chrome, firefox, MS Excel and other apps that started automatically (discord, ms teams). 5 Minutes of browsing on the Internet then a BSOD happened with a message: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. Here's the dump :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=104S5G37WWXv6yaHdcVlw4ZUdqZPxAN8O

Then I did something that I'm not even sure if it gives any clue or not. I plugged out my Headphone jack from the PC case, browsing for like 45 Minutes now (including posting this reply) with no BSOD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Twice on 5th you had application crashes, one was Nvidia drivers, other was Windows Desktop manager which runs the desktop graphics. I would blame both these on Nvidia drivers.

none of the BSOD coincided with these errors though. Its worth a try. Since most of the BSOD happen when you start a game, GPU should be on list of possible causes.

try doing this and instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update -https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

your headset doesn't show anywhere on the components listing...

meanwhile, your Cisco Anyconnect Seture Mobility Client Virtual miniport Adapter is showing as a problem device

newest drivers are 6 years old? https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/series.html
It appears its disabled?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://fishybackenglishspringerspaniel.htmlpasta.com/

File information:040620-9281-01.dmp (Apr 6 2020 - 11:56:55)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Twice on 5th you had application crashes, one was Nvidia drivers, other was Windows Desktop manager which runs the desktop graphics. I would blame both these on Nvidia drivers.

none of the BSOD coincided with these errors though. Its worth a try. Since most of the BSOD happen when you start a game, GPU should be on list of possible causes.

try doing this and instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update -https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

your headset doesn't show anywhere on the components listing...

meanwhile, your Cisco Anyconnect Seture Mobility Client Virtual miniport Adapter is showing as a problem device

newest drivers are 6 years old? https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/series.html
It appears its disabled?

Thank you for the reply lad, previously I have rolled-back my Nvidia Driver using the device manager > properties > Roll Back Driver and it rolled back to the 2019 version of the driver. Welp, it doesn't help and even worse when I ran Destiny 2 my PC just froze just like the one in the previous reply's video with no Bluescreen that could've saved my PC from a hard-reboot. So I updated it again (using the GeForce Experience's game-ready driver). I might try your method though.

As for the Cisco Anyconnect, I'm using their VPN service to connect to my company's system so I can work from home. On my other laptop, the software doesn't cause any trouble though. Before the COVID spread out, I still got the BSODs even before I installed the software.

FYI, I also post my issue in Microsoft Website and someone there (an MVP) suggests me to check the hardware seats since there's something loose, what do you think?

I'm starting to suspect the outdated motherboard driver OR PSU problem since it always blames many drivers here and there.

Regards.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

could be BIOS. There are 3 new ones since the one you are on but the last one is a Beta so unless your ram is from KIngston, I would stop on F12... you currently on F10 - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/H310M-DS2-20-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

If memtest wasn't showing ram as fine, I would be looking at it as well as PSU for errors that bounce around system and never get fixed.

Solution

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020

Hi @Colif ,
Sorry for the late reply. My RAM is V-GEN DDR4 8GB PC19200/24000 Mhz (x 2 sticks). I mem tested them last Saturday and received no error, though.

I just got another story for ya. Yesterday, I received yet another 3 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSODs while working with no heavy software being opened. Today I received 2. Let me give you the dumps:

Yesterday :

Today :

They might give you another clue . . .

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://sadisticpolarbear.htmlpasta.com/
File information:040820-8812-01.dmp (Apr 8 2020 - 03:56:10)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:040820-8437-01.dmp (Apr 8 2020 - 02:50:07)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File information:040720-9250-01.dmp (Apr 7 2020 - 03:12:00)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:040720-8953-01.dmp (Apr 6 2020 - 23:01:33)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:040720-8843-01.dmp (Apr 6 2020 - 23:54:24)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

oditouchiha

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Sup @Colif and @gardenman ,

I just updated my BIOS at Saturday morning and since then . . . and I haven't got any BSOD at all for now (Have been playing Planetside 2 for the rest of the weekend). Looks like it's working boys. Let me monitor it for a week and I would further report you later.

Thanks! ;)

Reactions: gardenman