Question ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Issues

ChillPhactor

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi,

I am looking for help diagnosing blue screens that I have been getting. Here is my setup followed by what I have tried so far and link to blue screen viewer files.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASRock Fatality x370 Gaming MB
32gb G.Skill Flare X (4x8) F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Windows 10
EVGA GTX 1070

So I upgraded my cpu from a 1800x to a 2700x and also got an additional set of the same 16gb memory (2x8) that I had in my system to bring my total memory up to 32bg. Not long after the upgrade I started getting BSOD that seem to occur at random times.

Things that I have tried
  1. Updating bios (even reverting)
  2. Checking/updating drivers
  3. Monitoring CPU temps (No issue there)
  4. RMA the new ram
  5. Checking corrupt system files via sfc/scannow
  6. Switching newer and older RAM slot locations
  7. Clearing cmos
  8. Running with no overclocking
  9. Running windows memory diagnostic (I know it is not as good as Memtest)

After I started getting blue screens every day to every other day the only thing that seemed to work was removing the new sticks of ram. I did that for a couple weeks without a BSOD occurring and then RMA'd the new sticks, but the issues came back even with the new ram.

I haven't run memtest due to sleeping in the same room that my computer is in.

The last thing that I can think of is that maybe the motherboard is faulty, but still don't understand why it happens so infrequently if that is the case.

Any other ideas?

Do you notice anything that might help in the blue screen reports? https://files.fm/u/46zm5yrd

Thanks!

Well that's what you get when you buy a motherboard called Fatality. Seriously, even when you buy memory of the same make, size and model, it can cause issues like you are describing. While it's not always a problem in your case it sounds like it is an issue. First I would remove the memory to see if it resolves your problem. The reinsert the memory making sure it is properly inserted.
If the problem reemerges after returning the new memory, you will probably need a matched set of 32g if you want to do a memory upgrade.

Last edited:

ChillPhactor

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Lol, FATALITY! Was the post unclear? I already did what you suggested with the RAM, just curious.

Is there any research or place where I could do more research on matched vs unmatched sets of ram? I'd also be interested to understand why this issue happens so randomly.

Thanks

While officially this may work, unofficially you may have to loosen timings or frequency in a 4x configuration vs a 2x configuration for stability, especially when pushing the higher end of the specs. The 4x configuration is alot more work on the internal memory controller.