Ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD after desktop upgrade

Exelus

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
2 weeks ago I upgraded my desktop. I replaced my Nvidia GPU with a Radeon r9 290, uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, and installed the AMD ones. I also imaged my old HD and restored it to a new 1TB Western Digital, and upgraded to a 750 watt PSU. I've since been having BSOD issues where my computer freezes for about 5 seconds and then restarts.The BSOD always happens when playing games or watching videos, whether it's Youtube, Netflix or from my hard drive. Viewing the DMP files in BlueScreenView suggests ntoskrnl.exe is the culprit, but after much googling, I haven't found a good solution. I've done 7 passes of Memtest86, two chkdsks, two SFCs, and reinstalled my graphics drivers three times with no results.

So I'm totally stumped. I can upload the dmp files if needed, but I'm not sure where to upload them to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Full specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8320
GPU: HIS Radeon r9 290
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-S2
RAM: Ripjaws F3-10666CL8D
PSU: Rosewill ARC 750
HDD: WDC WD10EZEX

Solution
update the BIOS or reset it to defaults and reconfigure. This will regenerate the database of hardware the BIOS will send to windows.

after you do this, if you get a bugcheck you should post it on a server and provide a link.

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Problems like this are not the easiest to narrow down. You can start with the easiest to fix item on the troubleshooting list, the drivers. Run THIS tool and run it for both AMD and NVIDIA which has to be done separately. Before you run that tool though make sure you goto AMDs website and download the latest drivers for your version of windows just so you can reinstall them when you reboot. I hope this helps.

Exelus

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

I've already used that tool for two of the three re-installs. It did remove a number of Nvidia files left over, but it hasn't fixed my problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though.