[SOLVED] ntoskrnl.exe causing BSOD

Jun 19, 2021
Hello everybody,

I've been facing these BSOD problems for months now and I've tried my best to fix them on my own but no good. Does not crash at all when playing video games and during discord calls... I don't know why, zoom and skype just crash within 15mins.

PC spec:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi rev1
GTX 1060 6gb
ddr4 16GB RAM
650 watt PSU

On Sat 19-06-2021 02:08:27 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061921-14843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F6C20)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF807270858F1, 0xFFFFBD841BF9A918, 0xFFFFBF805298F920)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 19-06-2021 02:08:27 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x78DE)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF807270858F1, 0xFFFFBD841BF9A918, 0xFFFFBF805298F920)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 19-06-2021 01:43:28 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061921-13421-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1, 0xFF, 0x1, 0xFFFFF806628087B3)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sat 19-06-2021 12:35:33 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061921-19062-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sat 19-06-2021 12:30:06 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061921-8750-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xA, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80583824CFD)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

Things I did to find and fix the problem:
sfc /scannow - sometimes it's clean (Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.) but sometimes it says
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the
CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log." , then I'll do the DISM /Online
/Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and run the scan again and clean results.

memtest - I've done both the normal and extensive tests and found nothing bad.

Driver verifier - I followed this article. Did not check ntoskrnl.exe as the author told not to check any microsoft related drivers.

Reset PC - did using cloud download and external USB flash.

Checked my SSD and HDD using CrystalDiskInfo and got clean results.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuTTVAjTMfxLliV4PZExN_5-YAFo?e=ASSMZ0 these are the dumpfiles.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
victim blaming now? Nvidia is victim of 2 of them... but then crash 1 doesn't mention Nvidia at all but its likely cause of it. DWM.exe = Windows Desktop manager. Sits between windows and GPU drivers.

Its not often its tells you what cause is so clearly, Normally takes some guessing

1 stick of ram isn't ideal for ryzen, it performs better with dual channel.
i doubt bios help, newer ones just add support for CPU you don't have.

3rd crash was cfosspeed crashing. Its used for internet, you could remove it as its old
Oct 21 2016cfosspeed6.syscFosSpeed driver (cFos Software)

or replace it. Newest here is from 2018 -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. Ntoskrnl and ntkrnmp are both parts of the Kernel, they are involved in almost everything PC does.

so driver verifer - did it crash at all? as none of the results above are DV errors.

try running this and see if newer lan/ WIFI drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
i have an aorus x570 and the drivers on intel are newer than Gigabyte.

Who crashed shows what crashed, we need another program called whycrashed to actually fix it... i will wait for them to make it :)

Or I ask a friend to convert dumps and we see what might have actually caused the problems

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ycedxgh0/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:061921-8750-01.dmp (Jun 19 2021 - 03:00:06)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:061921-19062-01.dmp (Jun 19 2021 - 03:05:33)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: spd.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:061921-17265-01.dmp (Jun 19 2021 - 02:52:31)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NVIDIA Web Helper.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:061921-13421-01.dmp (Jun 19 2021 - 04:13:28)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: nvcontainer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
Since NVIDIA was mentioned in several of the crashes, I would try this:
First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x#kf
You are using BIOS F50. If you are using Revision 1.x of the motherboard, then there is an update available for you. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
victim blaming now? Nvidia is victim of 2 of them... but then crash 1 doesn't mention Nvidia at all but its likely cause of it. DWM.exe = Windows Desktop manager. Sits between windows and GPU drivers.

Its not often its tells you what cause is so clearly, Normally takes some guessing

1 stick of ram isn't ideal for ryzen, it performs better with dual channel.
i doubt bios help, newer ones just add support for CPU you don't have.

3rd crash was cfosspeed crashing. Its used for internet, you could remove it as its old
Oct 21 2016cfosspeed6.syscFosSpeed driver (cFos Software)

or replace it. Newest here is from 2018 - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-utility
you probably don't need it. most programs that say they speed up internet don't really help.

Solution