[SOLVED] ntoskrnl.exe

Apr 17, 2022
Lately, I've been getting a lot of these BSODs. There is almost a different reason every time I get one, but the blue screen viewer just shows ntoskrnl.exe most of the time. Sometimes it's because of my CPU staying at 100% for a few seconds, which leads to the BSOD, but other times, I just randomly get one, and it wouldn't be my CPU.

• Intel i7-8700k
  • 16 GB Ram OLOy DDR4 3000 MHz
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • 1 TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD
  • 500 GB PNY SATA SSD
I can't seem to find any reasons. I suspect that it could be a driver problem, or hardware. I will also mention that I did recently get a new SSD, that being the 1 TB, and I moved all my stuff to that SSD. I am not sure if that could be part of the issue, but I'm just putting it out there just in case it is.
Minidump

Solution
Hi theangrybunney(y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

ntoskrnl.exe errors causing BSOD are usually driver errors however other things can cause your kernel to crash.
Memory errors or Service overloads will have to be checked.
Corruption In some cases and it can be Malware or a Virus.

1: Boot into Safe mode and go to device manager first to check your drivers.
Drivers with errors are represented as yellow triangles in various categories.

2: Open an elevated command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW to check for corruption within your System32 files.

3: Check Services as to how many are running at startup.

4: Run your Malware checker.

ntoskrnl.exe errors causing BSOD are usually driver errors however other things can cause your kernel to crash.

2: Open an elevated command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW to check for corruption within your System32 files.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
ntoskrnl is the victim of the crash, not the cause. If it was cause, windows wouldn't work at all.

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

drivers don't work in safe mode so most of them will have issues there, not sure what 1 proves really

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/kpdy6e8r/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:041722-9562-01.dmp (Apr 17 2022 - 23:15:54)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: RiotClientServ)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:041722-9484-01.dmp (Apr 17 2022 - 21:50:02)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:041722-7328-01.dmp (Apr 17 2022 - 23:16:31)
Probably caused by:Pool_Corruption (Process running at time of crash: lsass.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:041722-6921-01.dmp (Apr 17 2022 - 23:18:08)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:041722-6781-01.dmp (Apr 17 2022 - 21:50:36)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: nvsphelper64.e)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf
If you are using Rev 1.0 of the motherboard, there is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version F4 and the latest is version F15. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Apr 17, 2022

Hey MeanMachine!

Thanks for trying to help out. I've tried all of your options, so I'll try my best to respond to each solution you gave me.

1. I've booted into Safe Mode and went checked each one. Most of the drivers there are fine, the ones that have "errors" are just because I booted into safe mode.

2. Using the command to scan the system32 files showed no corrupted files.

3. I've checked both Startup and Services to see if there were any suspicious programs, and I've looked up the ones that I was unfamiliar with or had strange names. Results showed that they were all fine.

4. I've ran MalwareBytes to scan for any viruses or malware. This is what it detected.

yUzmVgk.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
top error mentions afd.sys. It is the ancillary function driver for winsock. Its used by windows to talk to network drivers
Your Ethernet and Wifi drivers are from 2019, and from Intel
I would run this and see if there are newer drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
I am not so sure about the others
Crash 5: Nvhelper is used by Nvidia drivers to talk to internet so could be also caused by Lan drivers.

updating BIOS could help as well, since you 10 BIOS versions behind. You only need to grab top one.
Intel updater may update chipset drivers at same time.

Apr 17, 2022
top error mentions afd.sys. It is the ancillary function driver for winsock. Its used by windows to talk to network drivers
Your Ethernet and Wifi drivers are from 2019, and from Intel
I would run this and see if there are newer drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
I am not so sure about the others
Crash 5: Nvhelper is used by Nvidia drivers to talk to internet so could be also caused by Lan drivers.

updating BIOS could help as well, since you 10 BIOS versions behind. You only need to grab top one.
Intel updater may update chipset drivers at same time.

Hey Colif,

You and gardenman mentioned updating the BIOS. Where can I do that? Will there be any further damages to my PC? I'm a bit worried about the outcome.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Updating the bios can add new features to the PC.
Its not advisable to do it at any time you might lose power, such as during a storm. Or if your area has a habit of cutting power.
It is the firmware update for the motherboard and if it went wrong, the board may not work. But that is rare.
I don't want to alarm you, most of the time BIOS updates work fine.

You can get the latest one from here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Gigabyte boards use Q Flash, here are the instructions - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf