NTUSER.DAT

OS = Win 2000 Pro on a workstation.
Profile = Local
File System = NTFS

I am writing a .bat routine to run at a Command prompt (aka: DOS Window) to
xcopy the entire folder of C:\Documents and Settings to an external hard
drive as a backup.

However, during the xcopy, the .bat routine returns the following error
message...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT
Sharing Violation

....and the .bat routine terminates.

I realize that the NTUSER.DAT is in use because I am logged in as
Administrator, and thus the Sharing Violation.

I also realize that logging in as a different user would eliminate the
Sharing Violation for C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT,
but doing so would create a Sharing Violation for the .dat file for the
alternate username under which I would have logged-in.

But how can I get around this? I'd really like to copy that entire folder
tree.

Direct replies may be directed to scott.pearson@PearsonCTS.com.

Many thanks,
Scott Pearson
San Antonio, TX

You could have a service do the copy for you when no user is logged on.
Schedule a copy with "at", maybe.
--
Drew Cooper [MSFT]