nub nam upgrading question

iceman845

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
its time to upgrade. my comps about 1 year old. x2 3800, abit an8 sli board...with 2x512 patriot memory @ 2-3-2-5 timings. i really don't understand what those timings mean but i was looking to upgrade to 3gb of ram with 2-3-3-6....sooo i don't know if my computer needs to slow that ram down or whatever. And its alright to add ram of different timings in the first place isn't it..? as long as they are paired? i'm not sure but please help :)

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Put simply, the tighter the timings (i.e. lower numbers) the faster the memory operates, in general. Higher frequency (i.e. 400MHz --> 533MHz) also generally gives better performance.

You are correct that the faster modules will have to run at the ever-so-slightly slower speeds of the ones you are going to add. You will not notice any difference in speed. You may need to go into the BIOS to set the correct timings. Do you know how to do this?

iceman845

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
ok thanks, yeah all that stuff is purdy easy/ quick for me to do. Right now i have my memory set manually at ddr 400 and cas etc... So i should be able to just add the ram and keep the manual settings since thats the max speed my mobo supports correct?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Erm, you'll have to change the timings to 2-3-3-6 yourself after adding the new ram. It's possible you could give the ram more voltage to get the new stuff to run at 2-3-2-5, but as there will be no noticeable performance difference I wouldn't bother personally.