Question NUC behaving really weird - hard drive not being detected

LoosSerine

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Have a really peculiar behaviour happening to my NUC8i7HVK NUC. I've got two M.2 NVME, EVO 970 and a ADATA SX8200NP. I updated the BIOS two days ago, and immediately afterwards, the ADATA drive (not boot drive) disappeared. I can see its model number in the BIOS but the drive is not detected in disk management nor device manager. I currently don't have the tool to open the NUC but I've had a similar issue in the past with it (BIOS related again). However as I unplugged all the cables (including power), then replugged it all back in, when I restart it, the drive is suddenly back again, and everything works on it. The next day however, once I booted it back up, the drive went missing again. Again this time, I tried by unplugging all the cables and replugging, the drive is now detected again. I've run health checks and it's all fine.
On a side note, I do have the NUC plugged directly into a wall socket, however my monitor is plugged into a surge protected extension with a lamp and some speakers, if turn on my lamp, my monitor goes black for 1 second and then comes back, if I turn off the lamp, the monitor does the same thing. However this ONLY happens if my NUC is detecting the drive. When my NUC isn't detecting the drive, turning the lamp on and off has no effect on the monitor. Again, the monitor, lamp is all on the other socket on the wall (via the extension). This also didnt use to happen with the previous BIOS. I also don't have a light sensor monitor so it's not the monitor detecting the light.

My current only solution I can think of is to reset the BIOS (but I'd need to remove the jumper so will get my tools from my place). However I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of this kind of behaviour.

LoosSerine

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Just disabled the Sata switch on a restart. Now the drive has gone missing again.
The second drive is showing as SM2262, which is actually the controller rather than the SSD, so it isn't actually detecting the SSD. On CrystalDiskInfo the second drive just shows up as SM2262 - BAD 0% health.

LoosSerine

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hmm, drive is fine health wise when works, speed tests all fine. It's a fairly new drive (less than a year old). Only occurred after BIOS update too so shouldn't be drive issue...

LoosSerine

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
OK, I do remember something else I changed as well, as I went from using HDMI to mini DP1.2
I just shut down, unplugged my mini-DP 1.2 only, didn't touch any of the power etc, booted up and it's working on HDMI...so it appears to be the DP1.2 is causing my second drive not to be detected.

LoosSerine

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Gonna try a different DP to mDP cable, the one I currently use is a Rankie one off Amazon. It is a 20-pin so has power which I think is disrupting the boot process. Going to try a 19-pin connector from DeLock, much pricier but hopefully it is the cause. Switching back to HDMI for the time being.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts