[SOLVED] Number added before audio device when updating?

tecnos

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi Guys,

I’ve just done a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and I have a BenQ PD3200Q 32” Monitor with built-in speakers connected using a Display Port cable.

When I looked in Device Manager I noticed that the monitor audio device connected via Display Port cable was named 5- BenQ PD3200Q

I can easily rename the device to BenQ PD3200Q but I’m curious as to why 5- has been inserted at the beginning.

The monitor cable hasn’t been disconnected and reinserted at any point. I read that disconnecting USB audio devices and reinserting them can increment a number before the device name but not sure about Display Port.

I’m guessing throughout the Windows update process that the monitor audio device has been disconnected and reinserted a few times due to a Graphics card update of some sort.

Does anyone have any solid information on why this happens?

Cheers,
Chris

Solution
i can find 5- BenQ PD3200Q when searching for it on Google and its all the same monitor, so must be model number although its hidden well. Mainly Ebay listings.
Windows 10 must have a driver for the monitor, it is likely where it got name.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can find 5- BenQ PD3200Q when searching for it on Google and its all the same monitor, so must be model number although its hidden well. Mainly Ebay listings.
Windows 10 must have a driver for the monitor, it is likely where it got name.

Solution