Question number keys above qwerty not working (only 5 and 6 works)?

josejrmc

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
weirdly enough the numbers 5 and 6 only work (1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0 problem). tried to stick it in different usb ports with no avail.

so rubber dome keys?

then it may be that a trace has broken on the membrane.
as your still able to press certain keys in combination its likely a break close to the keys that dont work.

you could if your willing open the keyboard (without breaking it)
and look to see if it is a broken trace on the membrane or some other issue like a perforated dome.

the trace may be able to bridged with a strand of wire and some tape.(assuming the trace is exposed). but its a temp fix and you will need to replace the keyboard with something else.
perforated domes on the other hand that means the membrane has gone rich and is failing... again replacement is the only option.

have you spilled anything or dropped it recently?

josejrmc

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
so rubber dome keys?

then it may be that a trace has broken on the membrane.
as your still able to press certain keys in combination its likely a break close to the keys that dont work.

you could if your willing open the keyboard (without breaking it)
and look to see if it is a broken trace on the membrane or some other issue like a perforated dome.

the trace may be able to bridged with a strand of wire and some tape.(assuming the trace is exposed). but its a temp fix and you will need to replace the keyboard with something else.
perforated domes on the other hand that means the membrane has gone rich and is failing... again replacement is the only option.

have you spilled anything or dropped it recently?
ill try this when I can.but im still confused that if its broken why cant I input 7 and 8, butbut when I press 6,7 and 8 this types in (6= )

josejrmc

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
If you want to try, you can open the keyboard up and check for dirt, food, dried up soda etc that may have gotten in or under the membrane and give it a light cleaning. You can test the membrane pad after you clean the areas on your monitor while the keyboard is still open.
I checked, it has some dust but not enough to mess with the keyboard. ill still try to air dust it againup. need to buy a new can first.