[SOLVED] Number of case fans for Phanteks P300

Justin Hunter

Honorable
Oct 16, 2014
So I'm in the process of buying my parts after planning out my build and I'm currently looking into case fans. I bought my case used off of a friend of mine and he gave me one 120mm AF120 corsair fan, one 140mm AF120 fan and the stock 120mm fan. The case currently has the 140mm at the top, 120mm in the rear, and the stock fan at the front. Is this an ideal setup for preventing dust and keeping my system relatively cool? Another idea i had was to take the two corsair fans and put them in the front and put the stock 120mm in the back as an exhaust for positive air pressure. Any insight would be appreciated!

Here is my build for a better idea:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $174.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard | $149.99 @ Canada Computers
Memory | Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $86.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $97.75 @ Vuugo
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card | $159.00 @ Canada Computers
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $45.00
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Amazon Canada
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $823.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 19:29 EDT-0400 |

Solution
The whole positive/negative pressure thing does not matter. The fan positioning does.
Unless you have a vacuum sealed case, it doesn't matter - you're going to get dust in there one way or another. That's my experience with it.
Just clean the PC a few times a year.
Don't go for years without doing so, and then come back here wondering why the PC is overheating... just saying, some people do it, and then proceed to post pics of the interior of their PCs...:homer:

I feel that this would be fine:
-2x 120s as rear and top exhaust
-single 140 in the front, but in the bottom slot

You could do 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust, but with those 2 small slots in the top and bottom of the front panel, I don't know if 2 fans up front would...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The whole positive/negative pressure thing does not matter. The fan positioning does.
Unless you have a vacuum sealed case, it doesn't matter - you're going to get dust in there one way or another. That's my experience with it.
Don't go for years without doing so, and then come back here wondering why the PC is overheating... just saying, some people do it, and then proceed to post pics of the interior of their PCs...:homer:

You could do 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust, but with those 2 small slots in the top and bottom of the front panel, I don't know if 2 fans up front would matter all that much...
If you had a 4th fan, you can just do 2x intake, 2x exhaust, and none of this would matter.

Solution

Justin Hunter

Honorable
Oct 16, 2014

You could do 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust, but with those 2 small slots in the top and bottom of the front panel, I don't know if 2 fans up front would matter all that much...
If you had a 4th fan, you can just do 2x intake, 2x exhaust, and none of this would matter.
Do you think there is a big difference if i place my 140mm in the front or the top?

TRENDING THREADS