Numerous BSOD AFTER clean Install of Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I have never seen so many BSOD in my life. I'm extremely frustrated!

So i upgraded my motherboard/chip a month or so ago and everything seemed to be working great. The part that worried me was when I swapped out the Mobo/chip,I didnt do a clean install because i had no way to back up any information. (there was really nothing important to back up besides 20gb of music and my saved game files). So what I did was after the swap, I put in the reinstallation disc, chose custom options, installed a custom version of windows and copied over my User folder from the "windows.old" file in to the new User folder. Something didn't feel right, despite ecerything working jsut fine, so I made this post a while back:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306492-30-upgraded-mobo-chip-reinstalling-windows

Now, last night, I finally recieved my 32GB flash drive in the mail so I can do everything the correct way. I copied my User file over to the flash drive and found a guide on-line with screenshots on how to correctly do a clean install. 1 hour later I had a new version of Windows on my HDD and alomst instantly I started to have BSODs, one after another!!!

Most, if not all BSODs had the 0x00000124 code. After doing a simple google search, I found that this is a vague hardware issue
Yes, I OC'd my cpu. Its a i7 2600k. Why wouldn't I? :) NO, I didn't revert my mobo to the default settings before doing the clean install. Can this be part of the issue? Was i supposed to?

I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to the computer in question atm, but I'm more than willing to answer any questions in preparation for when I get home.

Random thoughts/information:
-After the clean install, I used the mobo disc to install drivers
-After the clean install, I used the EVGA disc to install drivers, as well as went to their website to get the lastest (i got the driver dated 2/21/2012)
-I use a wireless mouse and wireless keyboards (logitech) and the dongles were left in while doing the clean install
-My HDD is 1 TB in capacity. For some reason it says only 931GB in the control panel. (this is big concern, because before I did the mobo swap/custom install, i could
have sworn it said 1024GB
-Am I looking at needing to wipe the drive entirely? Using DBAN or something rather than just a clean install?

Thanks in advance and PLEASE ask questions!!!!!!

Solution
Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Basically, something HW related messes up, other then the GPU [which would usually result in either 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR or 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT]. Could be RAM, but theres about 10 other BSOD messages which are more common on a RAM error.

As a result, this BSOD is very hard to diagnose, though you can usually suspect HW. Only thing you can do is pull/replace components one by one until you find the one at fault. Might be drivers too, but I'd expect other BSOD messages...

Are there any other BSOD messages that you get?

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Well your 1tb drive probably didn't say 1024gb before - drives never come in the capacity they are labelled. 931gb is fine.

As for your problem, you should return your CPU to default settings, and your BIOS, just to eliminate that problem - if it's not the cause you could always overclock it back afterwards right?

Also run memtest86 just to check the RAM and make sure. If you get errors that's almost certainly the problem; return them if they are within warranty, or buy new modules if they are not.

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

You're probably right regarding the HDD capacity, but I could have sworn.... :)

I planned on reverting the CPU back to to the default settings when i got home. I agree, it's best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I find it hard to believe it's the Memory. None of the BSODs said "memory management" nor did it ever onece try to run the built in Windows Mem diagnostic tool. When i had Memory problems in the past, that is exactly what happened. Also, these sticks are only 5 months old. ----Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX.......BUT, again, I'm willing to remove all variables in attempts to solve this issue. This just may have to wait until last resort.

The Microsoft memory test program is only basic and wont find most memory problems. You should run memtest86 4.0a for at least three passes as this is much more demanding of the memory and will find most memory problems. Your problem sounds to me as if it is almost certainly memory related.

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Out of curiousity, why would a clean install of windows bring memory issues to fruition? Remember, when I did the first custom install (see link in Original post) I had no issues. The reason I did the clean install was to "do it the right way" as recommended.

Thanks for the replys. Looking forward to more opinons (even if it's not what i want to hear)

This is just a suggestion for future reference. But always go to NVIDIA to get the latest Driver. EVGA may have a new one, but it may not be the newest. NVIDIA will always have the newest with Profile updates as WHQRL and Beta drivers.

I can not help you for your BSOD, as i have only had 2 or 3 in my entire usage of windows 7. And usually i fix the problem by going back to a state the computer was in before a hardware change, or a developer kit was installed

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. After looking at Nvidia's driver page:
Version: 295.73 WHQL
Release Date: 2012.02.21
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 157 MB

Looks like I have the latest driver.

(Props to TomsHarware for removing that keylogger in record time :D)

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Basically, something HW related messes up, other then the GPU [which would usually result in either 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR or 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT]. Could be RAM, but theres about 10 other BSOD messages which are more common on a RAM error.

As a result, this BSOD is very hard to diagnose, though you can usually suspect HW. Only thing you can do is pull/replace components one by one until you find the one at fault. Might be drivers too, but I'd expect other BSOD messages...

Are there any other BSOD messages that you get?

Solution

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Most laptop video cards struggle with any driver that's not the one the manufacturer intended, even if its AMD's or Nvdia's - AMD's website even recommends the OEM driver over its mobile driver offering.

Dry

I hate to point it out but Your running AMD video chips in your laptop. Plus it is not my fault in any way you have driver issues or game lag. I will not be at fault for any issues you may have so please understand i only speak for my self but only a recommendation to the other person

Thank You:)

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thank you for the post. We seem to be seeing eye to eye.

I do have another message written on a scrap piece of paper. It says Machine Check Exception 0x000009c

Something tells me that by not resetting my mobo to default settings before the clean install has brought some unstability to my PC. Its just strange how my OC seemed stable for weeks and all of a sudden after the reinstall its not liking it, AT ALL

Off to the BIOS, default here we come :( I plan on maintaining default for a few days to see if I get any BSODs

Bug Check 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

The only way this gets thrown as of Windows Vista is if the WHEA system isn't fully running when the BSOD occurs, which points to something very early in the boot process (IE: Drivers or hardware). Another BSOD that really doesn't point to a particular component...

I'd go back to BIOS defaults and go from there.

oste0130

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Setting are still at Optimized Default (f5 in the BIOS) and no BSOD.

I'm pretty sure my friend is correct in that my vCore was a tad low, which is why it would crash at idle temps. I'm not planning to OC it for a couple days.

I'm still baffled on how a clean install can make a Stable OC become unstable. Maybe its impossible to fully understand. On the bright side, at least I have a fresh windows install :)

Status
Not open for further replies.