NV30 flavor in Prescott!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Both have big numbers in specs, GF-FX is an insane clocked GPU and Prescott is going to be insane clocked CPU. Prescott is not using .13 micron and moving to .09 micron, like NV30 (.15 to .13). AMD is not waiting for .09 micron, they will release Athlon 64 in .13 micron and move to .09 micron within 1 year.

Looks similar, isn't it?

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Tell you the truth i see alot more similarites between the Athlon64 and the GeforceFX than the Prescott. Nvidia's GeforceFX showed off all these fancy technologies(ie. DDRII), promised crazy performance but instead it comes out extremely late and barely outperforms the 9700. AMD also claims the world in performance and is also really really late in delivering the product. I wonder how it will compare when it finally comes out?

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I must say I also see no similarities there. Sorry. We have no reason to believe Prescott will be a flop right now - none at all. Besides, that comparison is a fruitless one anyway.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've never told Prescott is going to be flop

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Both have big numbers in specs, GF-FX is an insane clocked GPU and Prescott is going to be insane clocked CPU. Prescott is not using .13 micron and moving to .09 micron, like NV30 (.15 to .13). AMD is not waiting for .09 micron, they will release Athlon 64 in .13 micron and move to .09 micron within 1 year.
Since the nv30 was a completely new architecture and the Prescott being for the majority based on the P4 architecture, I don't see any similarities here.

The Prescott will be a damn powerful x86 CPU. That's is sure since is based on the already fast P4 but even more heavinly tweaked that the Northwood core (0.09micron, HT2, SSE3 - 13 new PNI, higher clocked, higher FSB, bigger cache and so on).

The nv30 however was a completely new architecture and no one really knew how it would perform in real life. After some optimizing and bottleneck removing nvidia will announce the nv35 next month which will probably become the one big player in the graphiccard market for the rest of the year.

So, there are a lot more similarities between the nv30 and the initial P4 Willamette, both being new architecture and slow at start but fast after curing the initial "diseases" they had...

Hopefully this won't happen to the new Athlon64 architecture which doesn't seem to live up to its hype considering the first previews now available on the net...

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Well, most of the K8 is really based on the K7. It isn't as dramatic a change as from the P6 to P7 core or from the NV2x to NV3x architecture. The majority of the K8 remains almost identical to the K7 (including the FP pipelined which, asside from the addition of SSE2, saw no improvements).

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
yes but Intel vs tsmc

TSMC is strungling with 0.13 micron P3 tuatulin in on the market for more that 1 year.Comparing Tsmc and intel is comparing Iraq Vs USA they a big diference.

[-peep-] french

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I agree with imgod2u, K8 is not really K8, it should be called K7.9. K8 = K7 + on die memory controller + HyperTransport

Isn't it similar that, people are worried about Athlon 64, thinking it will have hard time to stand aginst Prescott. Just like people thought about R9700 Pro, many people thought GF-FX will blow away R9700 with it's insane specs. But finally, it didn't.

----------------

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I´m sorry, but I still fail to see any similarity there. It looks like a tacked on comparison to me. This analogy you´re trying to draw has no substance and is useless. This is beyond reasonable speculation, in my opinion - no offence intended here.

eden

Champion
Intel will have succesfully transitioned with Prescott is H2. Add 6 months and you get AMD.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
How can you even say that? Im sure those extra pipelines, new registers, and the 64-bit backwards compatible with 32-bit abilities was also in the K7 just hiding right?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
How can you even say that? Im sure those extra pipelines, new registers, and the 64-bit backwards compatible with 32-bit abilities was also in the K7 just hiding right?
Two additional packing stages were added to the Integer pipeline, and the GPR's (again, only integer) were extended to 64-bit with addition of 8 additional GPR's and 8 additional SSE/SSE2 registers. The FP pipeline remained largely untouched from the K7 and the Integer execution core remained untouched. The x86 decoders remain the same, the issue rate, scheduler, re-order buffer, cache configuration. Compare this with the transition from the P6 to P7 core. Nothing, absolutely nothing, remained the same. Not the caching structure, not the decoders, not the execution core, not the schedulers and most definitely not the re-order buffers. Again, I was making a relative statement. The K8 is nowhere near as substantial a change from the K7 as the P7 is to the P6 core nor the NV2x to the NV3x core.
The Pentium-M (Banias) had more changes compared to the P6 architecture (which it was supposedly based around) than the K8 does the K7 and that's not stopping people from calling it "just a P3".

As for the comparison between Prescott and the FX. That'd be true of the Athlon64 was released now or 6 months ago and Intel was desperately trying to get Prescott out the door to regain the performance crown (and failed to do so). Nothing about that situation even remotely resembles what's really going on. The Athlon64 will not be released too much prior (perhaps even later) than Prescott and we have absolutely no idea how good Prescott will fair. Not to mention the current P4 line is doing just fine against the competition.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.