NV40 = 480w+ PS !

pauldh

Illustrious
Some good reading at the Inquirer about NV40. Seems NVidia states a minimum of a 480Watt power supply. Start saving those Shekels if you haven't already.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15265" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15265</A>

Also, Anandtech states ATI Radeon X800 Pro will debut April 26th with 12 pipes, Radeon X800 XT will be May 31st with 16 pipes. Some more good reading also:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2018" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2018</A>

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Also of note is that the R420 will also require 2 molex connectors. Also from the InQ;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15246" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15246</A>

All the more reason to wait for PCI-EX IMO (which won't solve the PSU requirements, just the molexes).

The funny thing is even the PSU for my DUAL AMD editing rig (Enermax 465P) wouldn't suffice for the NV40 (and by extension maybe even the R420).

PCPower&Cooling's 510 doesn't seem so ridiculous anymore; But having a PC that consumes more power than many kitchen appliances, does.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
video cards are becoming like little mini-computers more and more everyday

jesus thsi just aint worth it. 500$ for the video card, and anohter 150+ for a top of the line PSU .. probably even more than that if you wanna be totaly sure you are supplying enough juice

i think someone said recently if the PSU doesnt give enough juice, it doesnt just turn off it will have a very good chance of frying multiple pieces of your system at once

honestly i cant see myself buying one of these, even if i had the cash
-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
They will be selling car adapters though. I'll just pull my car up to the window and attach the car battery to the videocard.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
If that is indeed true, it's ridiculous! 12 months ago when I bought my Antec TruePower 430W PSU, it never even crossed my mind that I would need an upgrade after only a year. In case the R420 needs less power, that will be a serious reason for me to choose it over the NV40, no matter what their performance is !!!

pauldh

Illustrious
As Grape suggested, R420 might be just as bad. Hopefully not as bad, We'll soon see. But the idea of having power requirments in the next VGA charts, sounds like a MUST HAVE, not just a nice bonus.

But I liked the inq's joke that NV should bundle a PS with their Geforce 6800's.

I have an Antec True430w also and never thought it would inadequate for a gaming rig as long as ATX is still the standard. Maybe in a stripped down gaming rig the 430w will suffice? Otherwise we are talking about $100 US minimum to meet those requierements. Even more to be futuresafe? It also means forget buying a PS bundled with a case, even from someone like Antec or Enlight.

As excited as I am about the new cards, I think I'll be trying to sqeeze as much time out of this R9800pro as I can. Maybe when it games like a R8500 does now, I'll be forced to switch, but as a Ti4200 has lasted, I hope this card will too. Only time will tell.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Eh.
I remember checking the AMD site for recommended and approved PSUs for Athlons in the years past.
Intel has that extra line for their P4 CPUs.

I really dont have much b*tching and moaning to report about this.

Kind of expected eventually.

Its actually kind of nice when you look at the overall pic. They are undoutably pushing consumer technology higher than without the fierce competition and pricing is undoubtably reasonable.

Maybe the prices will drop further on current cards...
$200US for a 9800 Pro?
That is becoming quite the steal.
I cant imagine anyone upgrading these days and not getting one of those, or a 5900XT.
I just wish certain areas other than performance were given more TLC for the ATIs. What would I ever do without gaming profiles? :frown:
But the price is getting right!

If these things do turn out to be $600, 500watt consuming beasts.. maybe, just maybe if those 9800 Pros drop to sub-$200 (or the 5900s drop further) I might pick one up.

If this new gen is incredibly terrible and last gens price drop much at all I could very well pickup a 9800 Pro.

I'm with Ape, I think that any 16pipeline card is going to need major juice. Its kind of ludicrous to think that either of these high powered cards wouldnt.
Simply put, I'm not shocked or suprised.

Many had power problems with even the LAST generation?

Gone are the days of a simple plug and go video card if we want these extreme graphics. They've gone the route of CPUs.

All I gotta say is, they'd BETTER spank the HELL out of a 9800 Pro.

I need something for games on the graphical level of Far Cry, and beyond.

2sense.

PS and offtopic- BTW Paul have you played UT2004? I'm pretty late on that one, Onslaught mode is the most fun thing I've played in a long time.
Overall, UT2K4 is simply the best online FPS available IMO.. if you havent (but its pretty likely you have as I'm like the last person to try it on earth), try the demo...
wow!

Goodbye Counterstrike, I think I've found a new love.
UT2K3 just didnt do it for me, must be the vehicles... er something.
Also, avoid Painkiller, that game doesnt do much for me... and graphically doesnt touch Far Cry anyway.
You can PM me your reply if you dont want to take this thread offtrack.. just wanted to share the "good news" in the forum of me finding something I like more than CS.
Just for Ape to come across. :wink:

pauldh

Illustrious
I'm surprised to hear 480w as a minimum requirement. Not surprised that they'd need more juice then todays cards.

I wonder what % of power supplies purchased in the Past year will be able run the NV40. How many people have been buying 480W + so far. Extreme OC'ers maybe. But probably way less than 1% of all PS's sold none-the-less. Probably no more than 1-5% even on an enthusiast site like this. Stinks for us.

I would have expected a very good PS like the 400w Fortron source and even my Antec 430W to run this card. Grapes Antec 465w isn't even up to spec. Sad.

Yup, I'll PM you about UT2K4. I've played/benchmarked the demo quite a bit, but don't have the retail game.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 04/10/04 01:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ya, 480 is a lot..

I'm using a 350 enermax.. worked fine for my 9800 Pro once I upped the agp volt to 1.7.
Also powers my GF4@1.5v with no problems, of course.

I would wager less than 1% sold less year would be 500watt or above... at least the brands that are worth buying.

I've heard of folks picking up el-cheapo 500watt PSU thinking it was a good buy before.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
500$ for the video card, and anohter 150+ for a top of the line PSU
Not as long as Fortron Source/SPI is still around, their 400W outputs more than a 480W cheapy, and even their 530W unit cost only around half of what you said.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
I always thought the Fortron Source 400w was as good a power supply as almost anyone could ever need. But even it may struggle with NV40??? Hope not.

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Lucky me. When my PSU wasn't puting out enough juice I almost picked up a 420, but ended up getting a 480. :cool: Oh, the poor people who chose the other path. :evil:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I agree this is rediculous. Boy am I glad though, that I bought my Antec True Power 550w a year and a few months ago! :) Paid like $110.

When nV says 480w recommended, theyre probably assuming decent to low quality generic/crappy brand (dell?) power supplies. I'm sure your Antec 430 could handle it, depending on the rest of your system.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, unless R420 is clearly behind, no NV40 will be in my box. :)

Not until it's half price maybe. I hope R420 consumes a bit less.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I wonder how my beefed up generic 400W will fair...I found an OEM quality "generic" with a great design and some weak parts...and replaced all the weak parts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
From all I've heard so far, I don't think these new cards will be a sound buying decision for quite a while. There are no upcoming games that require this sort of power, and with the PSU requirements and launch prices they would seem to be only for 3D developers and hobbyists, but almost out of the question for most gamers...

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Shutup.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

TRENDING THREADS