NV40 powers Unreal 3

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.popcultureshock.com/news.php?id=688" target="_new">Link</A>

You may ask what was so special about the demo. For starters, the materials and surfaces being rendered were awesome. The textures were sporting a technique that far surpassed normal bump mapping and displacement maps to give the appearance of much more depth. This technique was used in the GDC exclusive level of Crytek's FarCry for AMD 64-bit processors, but paled in comparison to the level of quality found in the Unreal 3 engine. The end result appeared to have a lot of geometry going into the surfaces, while a look at the wireframes showed it as a flat surface made of very few polygons.

The backgrounds and outdoor areas looked very natural and realistic. However, the biggest surprise was the character models themselves. The engine was running characters with 6 million polygons. Yes, you read that right, 6 million polygons. The characters were extremely detailed, lit, the works. What was even better was seeing such a huge monster stomping around and interacting with other creatures.

If this is a taste of what gamers can expect from NV40, we're all in for quite a big surprise this April...

Discuss amongst yourselves.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
yay?

if NV40 is capable of doing something like this......

I CAN'T WAIT FOR NV50!!!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think NV is *probably* going to be back on track.

With games looking like HL2 and Doom 3 I couldnt imagine how cool they will be looking after this generation.

Cool thing about Doom 3 is that I dont think its incredibly far behind this new Unreal engine.

/eagerly awaiting D3 and games based on it

The sad thing is it was the NV40 playing a movie of the game, not the actual game. :evil:

They probably had to time lapse it to make it look fluid. :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Though I doubt many current boards could do it at all.
It was a "timedemo" not a video... any PC could run a video of the game.
I dont know if it was time lapsed....
thats a bit of a low blow!

It was a "timedemo" not a video... any PC could run a video of the game.

That was my point actually, I was being facetious.

BTW, <A HREF="http://mirrors-1v.club-internet.fr/pub/games/nofrag/unrealengine/videos/epicdemo.zip" target="_new">HERE</A>'s a movie of the demo (kinda low quality but you get the gist from it)

Though I doubt many current boards could do it at all.
Well I doubt that the FX5950 and R9700/9800 series would have too much trouble. May be missing a little of the PS/VS 3.0 if there is any, but that would be a bout it. Also depends on the setting remember. If the NV40 could only run it at 800x600 then maybe not, but I doubt it was run at that resolution.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Sorry I couldnt tell you were being a PAIN again!!!!

Aye- (my attempt at hanging out with you Canadians), if it was 800x600 then maybe a 9800/5950 might struggle.

cleeve

Illustrious
Wow... if it looked like that on an NV40, imagine how much better it would have looked on an Ati card!

:wink:

Exactly, what's that partial precision? It's all hazy! :wink:

It appears Serious Sam 2 demoed on an ATI card.

No word on which one yet;
Article:
<A HREF="http://archive.gamespy.com/gdc2004/serioussam2pc/" target="_new">http://archive.gamespy.com/gdc2004/serioussam2pc/</A>

Pics & Video:
<A HREF="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55027" target="_new">Pics</A>
<A HREF="http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=866" target="_new">Video</A>

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
Looks like Nvidia are gonna clean up.

Noooooooo,that can't happen.
I've read that the new ATI cards are gonna slaughter anything that Nvidia puts out.....

Not long to wait...

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Geez, Serious Sam 2 is gunna be sweet.When Croteam released the first SS, it was state of the art...

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Is it just me or is this truely the GOOD year of the game?

D]|[, HL2, CS2, FarCry, Stalker (hopefully), PainKiller, SeriousSam2, UT2K4, etc.

PLUS all new cards, and wicked mobos+cpus. I haven't felt this amped for gaming in about 2-3 years. :smile:
Even Morrowind is minor to me in comparison to what might be this season.

Of course alot of it is because last year's gratification has been extremely delayed! :frown:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
D]|[, HL2, CS2, FarCry, Stalker (hopefully), PainKiller, SeriousSam2, UT2K4, etc.

PLUS all new cards, and wicked mobos+cpus. I haven't felt this amped for gaming in about 2-3 years.

Couldnt agree more there.
Seemed like there were alot of years there where I just wasnt excited by the new games... probably since the original UT for me. Late 99? Anyway.

You forgot so much stuff as well!
This is a good thing!

But what about games other than FPS?
World of Warcraft is coming out this year, maybe Everquest 2, Lineage 2... those are all MMORPGs but still they are so cool looking!

Also, the Athlon 64 seemed to be quite the "early" gift as well this year! I mean, that processor seems like something much before its time in both 32bit and having 64bit!!!!

Not only that, but I play EQ and they recently got a DX9b upgrade so I'm psyched about that.
The new graphics engine will be used in upcoming expansions and I cant wait to see what they do... any DX9 class stuff or above still excites me.

Cant wait for my NV40 either!
Dream system= A64 with NV40
/drool

Looks like its becoming the year to either get a raise or a better job!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ah, thank you.

So what is "aye"? That is pirate talk now that I think about it.

Eh= "A"
Aye= "Eye" (phonetically)

Well, now that that is cleared up!

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, I fully agree with this as the year of the game and gaming hardware. If only Blizzard would surprise us with Starcraft2 in 2004, I'd be totally happy. And some more time to play would be nice.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

There's definitely more to come, but those are the ones I'm looking forward too (or was [now that they're out]).

I think there are also some major titles that made people look towards upgrading (unfortunately many of them this same time last year!), and many of these are finally making the most of the latest technologies at their disposal. PS 3.0 in FarCry? Wow, before it's even really released and there's real hardware for it. That's very much the opposite of the intro of DX9 & PS/VS2.0. Sure it's likely just a bit of glitter/pixie dust here and there, but really, that's still better than last release.

Alot of reasons to be happy, hopefully the reasons to be dissapointed will be fewer than last year.

<A HREF="http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=376&sound=88" target="_new">Yeah it's spelled, "Eh!", you hoser!</A> :tongue:

pauldh

Illustrious
No not exactly. I'd be interested in trying the demo for that someday, but not too exciting to me. I don't even know what improvements I would want Blizzard to make in releasing a StarCraft 2, but that game was so much fun, if they could pull off an improved version, that would be at the top of my list. I bought all 3 warcrafts and the expansions too. Those games all were worth the money without question.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I like Aye better anyway!!!! :smile:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think all Blizzard games are worth buying without question.

Ever since i bought the original Warcraft I've never been disappointed.

I had a harder time getting used to WC3 and the expansion than others but at least they are changing things up a bit.
I essentially buy anything Bliz puts out. Most people due according to sales #s

A interesting bit of information-

The recent World of Warcraft beta signup is rumored to have brought in numbers... get this... larger than the circa 450,000 current EQ subscribers.
This is rumor, we wont know unless Blizzard releases the actual numbers, but it was supposedly MUCH higher than the current EQ base.

That blew me away... this is a beta folks! Imagine the word of mouth once the game launches and is in every store.
Nearly everyone will try this game whether its good or not IMO.

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
SW:Galaxies had rumours like that... and now look at the game. I beta tested it, then played it for a while. A lot of people interested in WoW, but paying for a game, and then paying a monthly fee for a game is really restrictive and turns lots of people away.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
True, but only cheapskates dont want to pay for them.
You cant really replace the feeling of playing a game with thousands of people at once.
Or even a raid with 60+ characters all working together to kill one enemy... its really fun IMO.

I think theres a difference between SWG and others and WoW.. those are Sony games... :smile: