Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I was playing CoH for about 2 hours with no problems whatsoever. Just started a game, was about 10min into it and my screen froze for about 1 min. Then I got a big blue screen saying i had an nv4_dsp error.

Anyone ever hear of this or have first hand knowledge? Seems to me it is referring to a driver, but im far from an expert.

Thanks for any insight.

Splif

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006

I did a little searching around and it seems to be driver related. Make sure you have the most current driver for your card and see what happens.

i found on a different forum a new driver release. am not at home so havent installed it yet. thanks for the time.

also, has anyone ever used drivers from www.TweaksRUs.com ?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah is a gfx driver related crash.

Has it only ever happened once? If so it is as likely to be down to a brief power spike or dip as anything else.

Failing that, if its something that only happens after 2 hrs or so of gaming, I'd check temps.

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Yeah is a gfx driver related crash.

Has it only ever happened once? If so it is as likely to be down to a brief power spike or dip as anything else.

Failing that, if its something that only happens after 2 hrs or so of gaming, I'd check temps.

its only the 2nd time i have played online with this new comp. first time was 3-4 hours with no problems what so ever. i have speedfan and coretemp. i checked both of those immediately after the crash and speed fan read ~34c but coretemp read ~49c. i know they check temps in a diff way and there is a thread dedicated to answering, but i dont fully understand it.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
They both measure your CPU temp, and I was meaning your GPU temp as it was a GPU releated crash :)

nTune or Rivatuner can monitor your GPU temps.

If it has only bluescreened once though, I wouldnt worry too much. Computers are very complicated things and even the best crash SOMETIMES, like I say it could have been due to a transient power fault.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
nTune or Rivatuner can monitor your GPU temps.

ahh my mistake. ill check those out asap. know a reputable site do download them from offhand?

thanks again :)

nTune from nVidia.com

Rivatuner from Guru3D.com

Dont panic when you see the temps, GPUs tend to run hotter than CPUs. My 8800GTX is hotter at idle than my CPU is at load.