[SOLVED] "Nvcontainer is still running" when I shut down ?

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
My new laptop when I go to shutdown after gaming shows: "nvcontainerwindowsclass000056C4 is still running "
After 2 secs it ends and the PC continues shutting down. Is that normal? Cheers.

Solution
If you can shut down your PC just fine, there isn't an issue.

Sometimes, during shut down, some programs need a bit of more time, to safely close themselves, prior to shut down. For me, occasionally, these have been either Steam or Skype. And when Win is ready to shut down, but program still isn't, Win shows you which program is "holding back".

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Sometimes, during shut down, some programs need a bit of more time, to safely close themselves, prior to shut down. For me, occasionally, these have been either Steam or Skype. And when Win is ready to shut down, but program still isn't, Win shows you which program is "holding back".

Reactions: OnlyAlex
Solution

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021

Thank you. Yes, it shuts down fine. It says shutting down and then for like a second the above displays and then disappears. Just wanted to check it was normal. Cheers.

Reactions: Aeacus
My new laptop when I go to shutdown after gaming shows: "nvcontainerwindowsclass000056C4 is still running "
After 2 secs it ends and the PC continues shutting down. Is that normal? Cheers.
Windows has a feature when shutting down that it detects which applications haven't actually closed after getting the "close up shop, we're shutting down" signal from the OS. When you get that thing that says an application is running, it's simply because Windows thinks it's taking too long to close (maybe the app got stuck in an infinite loop) and gives you the option to nuke it anyway so Windows can continue shutting down. If the app eventually does close, Windows will just continue on.

If it still takes too long, there's no harm in closing the application (it's only a problem if it's trying to save data you need). However, if the app keeps doing this, I'd argue something abnormal is going on with the app. Whether or not it's a concern for you is another thing.

Reactions: OnlyAlex

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Windows has a feature when shutting down that it detects which applications haven't actually closed after getting the "close up shop, we're shutting down" signal from the OS. When you get that thing that says an application is running, it's simply because Windows thinks it's taking too long to close (maybe the app got stuck in an infinite loop) and gives you the option to nuke it anyway so Windows can continue shutting down. If the app eventually does close, Windows will just continue on.

If it still takes too long, there's no harm in closing the application (it's only a problem if it's trying to save data you need). However, if the app keeps doing this, I'd argue something abnormal is going on with the app. Whether or not it's a concern for you is another thing.

Thanks, it is a bit of a concern because it's a brand new laptop but this does happen on other new laptops too that I have had in the past.

It doesn't always happen and now when it happens it goes straight to shutting down and then for a split second, (not even enough time to read it) the NVContainer message displays as part of the shutting down without a warning prompt. If I've been gaming then it probably makes sense?