Nvidia’s Max-Q Will Make Your Gaming Laptops Incredibly Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamninja

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
ehhhh ok.... doesn't really change much I was already much expecting this to happen with Volta came a generation early I will guess that those with 1060s in them that are thin like razer blade will just throw in a 1080 instead.... I mean it would of happen sooner or later with Volta

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, so this will squeeze out more performance/W, but your peak performance will still be lower than laptops with better cooling. Eye-popping claims like "3x more performance than existing laptops" must be comparing them to the integrated GPUs in laptops the same size. And I'm guessing "up to 70% more performance than before" is referring to a laptop with a 1080 that used to have a 1060.

There's no other way to deliver on those claims using the same GPU silicon. Just like top performing desktop GPUs will always be pushing 250 W, your top-performing gaming laptops will always be big, heavy, and power-hungry.

What's nice about this news is that they're creating a half-decent middle-ground. The size & weight are the reasons I went with an integrated GPU in my current laptop, so it's good to see that addressed.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I don't completely understand what Max-Q is. It sounds like all of the hardware is the same. So Max-Q is just some software that optimizes your laptop for efficiency and noise?

Still, 2000$ for 18 cores? I mean, the price is still ridiculous.

Question now is Napples going to be in that range of price?

Anyway, it is really interesting and i hope AMD is going to provide another lick in the balls, however to Nvidia this time..

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Does this mean we're going to get more gaming-capable 2-in-1 devices? The only product in that category is the Lenovo Yoga 720. That's literally the only quad-core, discrete Nvidia, Wacom stylus 2-in-1 out there. Curious lack of competition in that space.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That's because this was probably written directly from a Nvidia press release, without ever talking to a rep to clarify what it actually is. So, the author probably didn't have a much better idea of what it is than we do.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The real reason is because MAX-Q!!11 isn't architecture... it's markitecture. Underclocking! Vague statistics!
An off-the-record comment on MAX-Q!!11 by an Nvidia engineer would probably go something like "Yeah we're undervolting and throttling to reduce heat and power, so we can cram them in thinner laptops."

LMAO - hilarious typos aside, I'm really skeptical of their ability to bring a low-power variant to market in a timely fashion. I'm not saying they're incapable of doing so or the architecture isn't good, but they've got a LOT on their plate right now and I just don't think it will be the focus. I mean their incoming mobile APUs will cover substantial entry to mid level territory. I just don't see them dedicating the resources to a new mobile dGPU right now.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Nvidia is using the same silicon for mobile, desktop, and cloud. Except for P100 - that's cloud-only, probably just because it'd be too expensive for other markets.

They allegedly did the same with Maxwell. I honestly don't know if AMD has been doing this or not, but it's a little hard for me to believe that the discreet mobile GPU market is big enough to justify dedicated silicon.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"LMAO - hilarious typos aside, I'm really skeptical of their ability to bring a low-power variant to market in a timely fashion. I'm not saying they're incapable of doing so or the architecture isn't good, but they've got a LOT on their plate right now and I just don't think it will be the focus. I mean their incoming mobile APUs will cover substantial entry to mid level territory. I just don't see them dedicating the resources to a new mobile dGPU right now."

A quick peek on other reputable tech sites (unlike Ars, who seem to have the same stiffy Tom's has for Intel and nVidia) shows Asus has a thin n light with a 8core ryzen and a mobile 580, and a AMD powered ultrabook with undisclosed specs (it was playing League or Dota, doesn't matter really) as well. Those also got brought on stage for the AMD press conference last night as well.

AMD has finally gotten a CEO thats stayed as tue CEO long enough to release an actual, new architecture and this has thrown Intel and nVidia into full panic, forcing them to announce products they weren't going to early
(A year or more early by my guess, there was no announced parts or leaks for these monster sky/kaby lake or Xenon parts till after thread ripper / epyc was announced. Volta has gone full hype train, now nVidia does this. AMDs release is about as disruptive to the industry as a napalm strike on a paper factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.