Nvidia’s GeForce Experience Beta Gets Significant UI Overhaul, Now Requires Login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate on the "you will miss out on the performance optimizations", please?

It does rub me the wrong way they are now requiring a damn account.

As long as they don't put specific driver optimizations behind that "create an account" thing, I will just opt out.

Cheers!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You can certainly spend the time to adjust your graphics settings manually. GeForce Experience offers a hassle-free way to set your games up with the "best" theoretical performance settings.
It is by no means necessaary.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

GeForce Experience sets game preferences based on your hardware. You don't need to fiddle with settings to get the best performance out of your GPU, NVIDIA takes care of that. It doesn't support all games, but those that I tested it worked fine, good FPS and decent detail settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Every game has detail settings, even if it's nothing more than high/low/ultra. But that's the game itself. GeForce Experience has hardware settings for your games that go above and beyond anything the games software has. It'll allow you to turn down shadows sharpness at specific viewing ranges, shadows density, viewing distance before things get blurry etc. This can be a major asset to ppl with slightly weaker cpus who might otherwise struggle with some fps at the detail settings they desire, but don't care if things like shadows aren't quite as dark or being able to see every blade of grass to the horizon. GE also allows things like rendering at a higher resolution on the hardware side, before it goes to monitor. This can make for very crisp and clear pictures on a lower resolution monitor. That's if the gpu is strong enough during any particular game. It's a simple 1 click optimization where GE determines the optimal settings for best visual and playability results. Of course, these results can also be manually tailored to suit a particular users wants.

I'd rather GE tell me optimum settings on Witcher 3 are medium and get smooth game play than be stubborn and set ultra manually, all the while complaining about only getting 20fps.

So, from what you're telling me, they intercept the API calls from the games and do their own stuff... Why isn't that in the driver instead? Why do they need something additional that requires an account for it?

I can get a lot of information for a game using nVidia inspector already and set up deep customization options for pretty much any game in the driver. I tried out GFE and it did nothing to help me get better FPS'es so I just did it manually like always.

You're not convincing me, but putting me off.

Cheers!

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
The necessity of account creation/login is very dissapointing. I will pass. After all I can adjust the my games' video settings very well. After all, on many of my games current settigns are not the same as nVidia's optimized ones. I have personal taste and it is different.

The assumption here, and its a reasonable one, is that when you buy their product, you want to have all of the features it offers. That includes the software package. It's not for everyone and it isn't required.

Annoyances with GE over the years are things like using it to optimize a game, then playing it and changing settings yourself later, only to find that GE changes them back again at a later time (if it is specifically set to optimize automatically).

Scanning for all of the games present on the system upon launch can cause the program to take forever to load up. The bulk of my library is on traditional hard drives, so I feel it.

I already had a login since I participate on the geforce.com forums. It's handy for the latest information on driver details / bugs / driver hotfixes, etc. The login's needed to be able to actually post what bugs you might encounter, rather than simply lurking and reading about it.

You also need the login if you intend to share your gaming experience with others. That's done in multiple ways like broadcasting to twitch, youtube, etc, and linking to the accounts on those sites. It just makes sense to have that broadcasting information protected behind a username and password.

Speculating here, if you are a content creator of any kind, especially with the new software available with the Pascal line, having that original work linked back to the creator through username / password is especially handy. In this case, you want there to be meta data that links you back to the originals.

I have nearly everything in GE disabled, it doesn't doesn't scan for games daily, it doesn't optimize any, it doesn't automatically download driver or GE updates, it simply records 20 minutes of gameplay at the highest quality, continuously for my convenience.

tl;dr - I dont have a problem with logging in because I already had a geforce.com username.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Ok I see your point. But then again....everyone asks us to create an account and login with it.Then they monitor us.Then some one else hacks our accounts massively, stealing from their databases. This account thing has to stop at some point.So many to maintain properly, so little time to do so, even with the help of tools. Enough is enough. Good bye GeForce experience.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

You will also miss out on the Nvidia Control pannel for other performance tweaks and such.

Synagogue13

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
LOL, installed it yesterday against my will (login crap) just to test the thing. Today it no longer works. Says: "Something went wrong. Try restarting Geforce Experience.". Have tried it over and over. Same error every time.

Conclusion: Uninstalled.

ps: Keep on forcing tracking on me and I'll tell you what I'll do when Vega comes out...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I guess they just want to know how many are actually using the product , not just dl, to justify expenditure of resources upgrading, bug tracking etc, or if not enough, is it worth just junking the whole damned thing. I use it to some extent, like the optimizing etc, but I don't use it to launch games nor shadowplay etc. I guess if I had shield it might be of more use, but it's one of those set and forget apps for the most part. Logging in isn't really going to phase me in the slightest, if I open it 1x a month I'm lucky.

Well... nVidia can know all of that by just using the installer and sending back the installer options used.

As for the "everyone tracks you". That might be true, but I just don't want yet ANOTHER account in some company that God knows what does with the information gathered.

Cheers!

I have this on my system, more for the driver update notifications which is nice, and I can make my GTX logo change colours maybe? But as for it's "optimizations" they can be utter crap. Hairworks at 1440 on a GTX970, really? REALLY? WE GOT A STUTTERFEST ON AISLE THREE! It keeps telling me to turn DOWN certain features on FF14...at 1440....on a GTX 1080. I get 100 to 150 fps with everything cranked, everywhere. I consider solid 60 fps and up optimized, if there are graphical concessions to make I'll decide where they are. I hate blocky shadows and no AA, but SSAO sometimes looks like trash to me, depends on the game but in that case SSAO goes and shadows and AA are cranked, if it nets me 60 and up. I get they are trying to provide a service that makes PC gaming more accessible to new players, but this nannysitting better not get any worse. And mandatory accounts, well....where did I put that roll of tinfoil....

Aug 15, 2015
Not logging in. To what end? Smaller install size without "Geforce Experience."

I find it generally over-estimates the capabilities of my GTX470 anyway, and I have to dial it down a notch from the recommended settings. Bye-bye GE, I'll miss you. (Sort of...)

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
now that's funny, well props to Nvidia for requiring a login, just a reminder to microsoft that every software / hardware developer hate Windows platform and want to run / control their platform for a better experience

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
No, I will NEVER log in.

I don't ask permissions to use my own property. I'm not renting it, I BOUGHT it.

And I had enough with the ultra slooow driver control panel. It becomes slower with each driver update.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Umm you didn't buy GeF, it's owned by nvidia, they allow you to use it under certain conditions, the least of which is the EULA Permission you either agree to or decline that comes standard with ANY software you install. That said, logging in isn't asking permission, you did that at install, logging in is just saying 'hi, I'm using your crappy software again' if that's your bend on things.

You buy World of Warcraft, spend money every month to rent a server spot, you own exactly nothing but the right to install the software and you still have to log in. So, wtf you complaining about that nvidia does something similar, for free?

Get a grip.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm using the beta right now; it's nice, but it's overkill considering all I really want are up to date drivers. Interestingly enough, I can't find any new (or noteworthy) features beyond a changed UI in the beta, minus requiring an account.

Status
Not open for further replies.