Feb 12, 2021
Hello,
Today was just a casual day. I was playing dark souls 3 on my pc. Then my game froze and the screen turned black. My fan started to ram up. I turned off the pc and turned it back on. Then my monitor said 'DP no signal' . I thought maybe my monitor was not working. I tried unplugging the monitor, Display port and the pc. Waited couple of minutes then plugged it back in. Still didn't work. Next i looked online and wrote the same thing on the internet 'pc screen turned black and fan speeds up'. It also lead me to tom's hardware. There were lots of replies to other peoples problems so i tried them out. I tried vacuuming and removing dust from the pc, then i tried taking out the GPU and reapplying thermal paste, then i tried plugging in the different ports i had on my GPU, such as, 2 DP ports and 2 HDMI ports none of them worked. After that i thought i was lost and that nothing worked.

I tried my monitor on another computer just in case and the monitor worked fine.
Then i removed my GPU form the computer and put my HDMI into the motherboard. It worked, i had my screen. Now that i know that the GPU is the culprit, I wrote to tom's hardware to find out what i should do next.
I could go to my local pc store but i wanted to find out something else if i could fix this problem myself.

PC specs:
CPU: i7-6700k 4GHz 8MB cache LGA1151 Skylake
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
RAM: DDR 4 Dual 4 GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB
Hard disk: XINTOR2000G
Motherboard: B250M-DS3H GIGABYTE LGA 1151
PSU: CX 450M

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello,
Today was just a casual day. I was playing dark souls 3 on my pc. Then my game froze and the screen turned black. My fan started to ram up. I turned off the pc and turned it back on. Then my monitor said 'DP no signal' . I thought maybe my monitor was not working. I tried unplugging the monitor, Display port and the pc. Waited couple of minutes then plugged it back in. Still didn't work. Next i looked online and wrote the same thing on the internet 'pc screen turned black and fan speeds up'. It also lead me to tom's hardware. There were lots of replies to other peoples problems so i tried them out. I tried vacuuming and removing dust from the pc, then i tried taking out the GPU and reapplying thermal paste, then i tried plugging in the different ports i had on my GPU, such as, 2 DP ports and 2 HDMI ports none of them worked. After that i thought i was lost and that nothing worked.

I tried my monitor on another computer just in case and the monitor worked fine.
Then i removed my GPU form the computer and put my HDMI into the motherboard. It worked, i had my screen. Now that i know that the GPU is the culprit, I wrote to tom's hardware to find out what i should do next.
I could go to my local pc store but i wanted to find out something else if i could fix this problem myself.

PC specs:
CPU: i7-6700k 4GHz 8MB cache LGA1151 Skylake
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
RAM: DDR 4 Dual 4 GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB
Hard disk: XINTOR2000G
Motherboard: B250M-DS3H GIGABYTE LGA 1151
PSU: CX 450M
It’s best to go to your local pc store and have them diagnose your GTX 1060. I had the same problem within my GTX 970, one day I was gaming and my pc just shut off with glitchy lines and after that my 970 was confirmed dead.

In your case like mines it’s mostly likely your GPU was either overheating, or your PSU wasn’t stable enough to send power to the rest of your components including your GPU, although that cx450m is good unless you’ve done any overclocking on your pc which your psu isn’t Suitable for that.

If you have an extra GPU or can borrow from a friend use that to test your pc and see if the problem still occurs, or try another psu with your 1060 if it’s stable. You can also try and take apart your 1060 and look for any damages on the PCB, but in most cases there won’t be any but there’s probably a chance.

Feb 12, 2021
It’s best to go to your local pc store and have them diagnose your GTX 1060. I had the same problem within my GTX 970, one day I was gaming and my pc just shut off with glitchy lines and after that my 970 was confirmed dead.

In your case like mines it’s mostly likely your GPU was either overheating, or your PSU wasn’t stable enough to send power to the rest of your components including your GPU, although that cx450m is good unless you’ve done any overclocking on your pc which your psu isn’t Suitable for that.

If you have an extra GPU or can borrow from a friend use that to test your pc and see if the problem still occurs, or try another psu with your 1060 if it’s stable. You can also try and take apart your 1060 and look for any damages on the PCB, but in most cases there won’t be any but there’s probably a chance.

Thanks for the advice, well i've tried that and it looks like my GTX 1060 is the issue.
I'm kind of new to giving a pc store my components. What should i tell them?
Take a look at this GPU and look at it's issue?