Nvidia 1080Ti questions

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
So I'm currently running a Gigabyte 1080Ti with 11gb of DDR5, it's a screamin' card but the flight simulator games I'm running will put huge demands on even the best hardware.

I've looked at the new Nvidia RTX 2080 cards but they don't really seem to offer any significant performance advantage over my current 1080Ti, and certainly not eneough to justify the cost.

Is there an Nvidia based card out there that would give me better performance than my 1080Ti without having to take out a second mortgage...?? LOL

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think you already have your answer. The RTX2080 is basically within 3% as fast or faster (Depending on the title) of your GTX1080Ti (And you have more VRAM)

RTX2080Ti is about 30% faster, but it is $1200.

With some hefty cooling and overclocking I'm pretty sure the GTX1080Ti can do better actually. Nvidia really locked down the power on the RTX series cards, without warranty voiding hardware mods I don't think they will be that good for overclocking.

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018

Thanks, it's kinda what I figured but I appreciate you confirming it. I think it would be cheaper for me to just buy a 2080Ti than two 1080Ti's and run SLI, so I might look in to that.

CPU is an i7 8700K running stock. I'm not comfortable with overclocking and going to a higher performance CPU would require a motherboard swap anyway, so this is probably what i'll stay with for a while.

Thanks for all the replies gents.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Not really any higher performance CPUs available for gaming right this second. There is overclocking, and there is setting the CPU to run at full speed. As of now you have a single core that will boost to 4.7Ghz. Most chips can be set to run 4.7Ghz on all cores with only a little effort as long as you have decent cooling. Look up Multi-Core Enhancment (MCE)

Higher end Intel CPUs on the HEDT platform basically require overclocking to compete with the consumer grade chips on gaming. Having 18 cores is great, but getting all of them to run at 4.7Ghz is a task that usually involves hefty water cooling.

If you already have a 1080Ti the only cost increase would be another 1080Ti and possibly a power supply. I can't imagine those two items equaling $1200. They also aren't a direct comparison. 1080Ti SLI is still going to be faster than a single 2080Ti in games that support SLI anyway.

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
I didn't mean to imply that I'd need two 1080 Ti's at a cost of over $1200. The plan would be to sell off my current 1080Ti to offset the cost of a 2080 Ti, but i'd still likely have to shell out an additional $700 or so to cover the cost of the 2080Ti, and I really can't justify the expense at the moment.

I run Flight Simulator X Steam Edition and Lockheed Martin P3D v4.3 and I'm starting to think I already have about as good a hardware specs as I can get for those two sims. They both run well with my setup, but I'm always looking for that little extra edge in performance because the ever increasing sophistication of scenery, airport, and aircraft add on's for these two simulations places ever increasing demands on the hardware.

Thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated.