[SOLVED] Nvidia 1650 upgrade to 2060

Nov 20, 2020
Hi everyone, I’m after some advice on upgrading a Nvidia gtx 1650 to a gtx 2060. Currently have an ace a500br psu but it only has a 4 pin connector. The gtx runs off the motherboard supply but I’m told the upgrade to the 2060 will require an external 8 pin power supply. Is this as simple as getting an adapter or am I dreaming and need further upgrade of components. Please excuse any obvious questions/statements in the post, this is fairly new to me. Thanks in advance

Solution
STRONGLY agreed on the "no adapters" rule. Those things are generally fire harzards.

Get a reputable, high-quality PSU BEFORE you get a GPU. Click on the first link in my signature for a comprehensive guide on this.

As for the 2060, I would recommend against it. The RX 5600 XT performs the same (or slightly better), consumes less power, and costs less.
Hi everyone, I’m after some advice on upgrading a Nvidia gtx 1650 to a gtx 2060. Currently have an ace a500br psu but it only has a 4 pin connector. The gtx runs off the motherboard supply but I’m told the upgrade to the 2060 will require an external 8 pin power supply. Is this as simple as getting an adapter or am I dreaming and need further upgrade of components. Please excuse any obvious questions/statements in the post, this is fairly new to me. Thanks in advance
No adapters! You need a new power supply in 550-650 watt range, depending on the rest of your system specs.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
STRONGLY agreed on the "no adapters" rule. Those things are generally fire harzards.

Get a reputable, high-quality PSU BEFORE you get a GPU. Click on the first link in my signature for a comprehensive guide on this.

As for the 2060, I would recommend against it. The RX 5600 XT performs the same (or slightly better), consumes less power, and costs less.

Reactions: Archaic59
Solution
Nov 20, 2020

Thanks I’ll have a look at that. Makes perfect sense as well then. Your feedback very much appreciated, cheers

TRENDING THREADS