Nvidia 2019 CES Keynote: Live Coverage

Sep 22, 2018
Say I already own one of the monitors that will be newly supported on Jan 15th for GSYNC. How do I get GSYNC on that monitor I already own?

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

Not faster, the same speed. Ignore Wolfenstein 2 that is an outlier. Nvidia's own marketing material has it faster in about half the games and slower in the other half. One thing to keep in mind is that the 1070 ti was an incredible OC'er, so I expect the RTX 2060 to be slightly slower than the 1070 ti in general.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
Nvidia announcing adaptive sync support was surely the highlight of the event. That was a great way to stay competitive for the people eyeing the upcoming Navi and Intel GPUs.

The make it or break it will be whether the driver will work with all of the non "G sync certified" Freesync monitors as well as an AMD or Intel GPU would (the remaining 388 models that they tested). Those are the monitors that most people buy to have at their homes these days, and if Nvidia won't support them properly, they are still at a major disadvantage should AMD or Intel come up with a competitive GPU.

I have an LG Freesync monitor and the only reason I'm not running an AMD GPU with is is because there aren't 4K-capable AMD GPUs out there. As soon as there is one, if Nvidia does not support it, I will switch to the GPU that allows me to use Freesync on my monitor that I already have and don't plan to switch from.

lifeboat

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
"How do I get GSYNC on that monitor I already own?" You'll just have to upgrade to the latest drivers that will be released on the 15th.

PuperHacker

Honorable
Well... If it is true that it will outperform a gtx1070ti and have ray tracing, why bother spending $150+ on an rtx2070? It makes no sense to have a performance gap this small... it is just like the gtx1070ti/gtx1080. Hope they don't force stock clocks on every rtx2060 so it doesn't match the rtx2070...

Nvidia will release a driver update on the 15th that will open up support for your monitor.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yeah, see, my understanding is probably incomplete, but this is what had me confused.

I thought Adaptive Sync was the general term for the two existing Adaptive Sync technologies - GSync, and FreeSync.

Yet, in the article, it almost made it sound like a separate thing. So, when they say GSync will work with Adaptive Sync monitors that don't have GSync in them, do they mean it'll work with FreeSync monitors, or do they mean something else entirely.

Are they basically saying that they're finally allowing FreeSync support? ie: what some people needed to hack their drivers to do (and Nvidia shut that down real quick), they're finally officially going to support? I'd like to think so, but, I'll admit I'm a bit lost on this.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Also consider this, once RT is enabled, cut those frames down on the RTX 2060 considerably, unless staying @ 1080p; fairs okay there and is of course title-dependent. The RTX 2060 is more or less a next-gen GPU equipped with technology it cannot properly exploit; underpowered. For that, one would realistically need the 2080/2080 Ti, keeping monitor(s) resolution in mind.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I'll believe the "better than a 1070ti" when I see third party benches. Considering that the 2070 is on par with the 1080, that would leave an EXTREMELY small performance gap between the two cards. Also, if it is actually running at over 60fps with RTX enabled, then it is performing significantly better than the other cards in terms of price/performance. I hope they are right though because that would make the price a little easier to stomach.

Tom's own benches are showing 68fps at 1920x1080, so this article does look to be a little misleading unless I'm missing something: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-ray-tracing-turing,5960.html

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

It looks like Nvidia is testing every monitor that uses A-sync (including all the Freesync monitors) using their new drivers. If they determine that the performance is acceptable, then they will roll out full support for that monitor. There are something like 12 out of 400 that have made it through the process so far. I think this article is misleading because it makes it sound like all A-sync monitors will be supported.

Nargg

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
nVidia needs to drop G-Sync and go to Free Sync since almost no monitors support G-Sync but almost all new monitors support Free Sync.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I could be wrong, but I look it it like this, Adaptive Sync is the hardware/software that monitors use to vary their refresh rate. Freesync is the hardware/software that AMD uses to coordinate with the Adaptive Sync in the monitor. G-Sync is the hardware/software that NVidia uses to coordinate with the Adaptive Sync in the monitor as well as NVidia providing the hardware that the monitor uses for its Adaptive Sync. G-Sync is tightly controlled by NVidia so that NVidia can keep the experience at a high quality level and a high consistency. The range that the Adaptive Sync works in a Freesync system varies based on what hardware the monitor maker puts in, so AMD has no control over that, but the prices are lower than G-Sync because the monitor makers get to choose what Adaptive Sync hardware they put into their monitors instead of being forced to use the one that NVidia provides.

Takasis007

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
As wonderful as $349.99 sounds, it smells like cow pucky to me. Current 1070's are selling for the higher end of 600 to 800 dollars. If this has 1070 ti performance there is no way they will release them at that price point. 1060's are still on the upper end of 500$ in Canada. Of course there are the odd sales for around $300 +/- but come on, the greed is real. I have held off purchasing a new GPU for almost 3 years now simply because I refuse to pay the inflated prices. The last gen GPU's are still selling higher than their original MSRP. If this price is accurate they are going to have to slash all of their existing inventory of the previous line for this to make any sense at all. Ooooorr they are finally coming to their senses after their stock has plummeted. Just my 2 cents, I am hardly an expert on any of this. But if it continues, it may be time to bite the bullet and buy a high end console -----<shiver>-----

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Umm, no. PCPartPicker right now is showing a dozen 1070 models from $299.99 to $399.00.

Or, did you mean 2070? In which case, also no. That's showing 6 models under $500, and 8 from $500 to $550.

Takasis007

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I was referring to Canadian dollars. Pretty sure you are referring to the US Partpicker.com. Now there are some 1060 6GB on the CA version ranging from $310 to $500, with 1070s absolute bottom of the line starting at $484 ranging to $819 and this card is saying it can beat a 1070 ti..... Therefore I am sticking with calling BS on $349.99US or $468.63 CA Whichever you prefer. . At the moment and I could be wrong, have been before will be again. There are 2 1070s for 299$(US) at the moment on Partpicker US. Have a nice day.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, correct, that would be US dollars, but that's also what the $349.99 price for the RTX 2060 is as well. Not sure if it's just a matter of converting USD to CAD when determining the pricing of a video card in CA, or if there are other factors involved (I don't have the slightest idea of there's any sorts of import fees, tariffs, or what have you involved).

I figure there MUST be other issues, though, rather than direct currency conversion. It seems USD$300 is around CAD$400, yet the cheapest GTX 1070 I could find on PCPartpicker in Canada is CAD$485. Make of that what you will. I would guesstimate that means the RTX 2060 would probably come in over CAD$500.