Nvidia 3D Vision Surround: Is This The Future Of Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Without sounding ignorant like killerclick, they do need to start producing mainstream monitors that have little to no bezel. If not then i might as well buy a 32-40 inch TV that does 120-240hz and go with that.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hell you might as well go all out and connect 3 32 or 42 inch samsung series 6-8led tvs and tri sli or crossfire 5970's..... one would definitly need watercooling systems and core i7 6 core chips, with an ROG x58 board with ssd's max RAM, win 7 64bit, and 1000watts... this machine would then have to played in full airconditioning and with crazy sounds with some amps and extra lighting effects.....

You would then have total fun playing games like Crysis, Resident evil, left for dead, Dirt, and Cod MW2..... one can imagine

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
better yet, a single fold out (nearly bezel-less) display.
As the article says, this is all nice and dandy but the costs are high, to say the least. However as time passes this technology will be more affordable for us average joes. Good too see GRFX companines are pushing new toys

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]Hell you might as well go all out and connect 3 32 or 42 inch samsung series 6-8led tvs and tri sli or crossfire 5970's..... one would definitly need watercooling systems and core i7 6 core chips, with an ROG x58 board with ssd's max RAM, win 7 64bit, and 1000watts... this machine would then have to played in full airconditioning and with crazy sounds with some amps and extra lighting effects.....You would then have total fun playing games like Crysis, Resident evil, left for dead, Dirt, and Cod MW2..... one can imagine[/citation]
And will cost as much in power to run that machine as an Air COnditioner during the Houston Summer.

The scales are way too big. Too much money, too much power needed (which means more money), and way too much physical space. Cost and power usage may come down, but space? In the mainstream, I'd sooner expect the VR headset to make a return.

I wish I could afford all of that hardware ... alas not.

The Samsung 120HZ 24" monitor, glasses and GTX card cost us arond $780.

Played it for a few days and got sore eyes.

Gave it to the kids.

They played with the glasses for a week.

Now the glasses are in a drawer.

Not much more to tell really.

The whole experience with the glasses reminded me of:

The yoyo
The pogo stick
The hat with the beer cans on top of it and the tubes
The Bling "Gaming" case with neons that I disconnected
The Superfloppy
The external CD Burner
The ex-wife

All terribly short experiences of delight (dynamic quality) followed by a feeling of bewilderment and a sense that I had been played by a consumerist market.

C Wright Mills please save me ... from myself.

Chris ... is there a cure ?

ravnoscc

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have a question:

Could you explain how the bezels are compensated for in 3D Surround mode? I am trying to imagine how having 2-3 inch spaces in between each projected image would look in 3 dimensions... Having difficulty, but maybe a short explanation?

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
The future of gaming maybe but at this point the cost to get into it is off the charts so yes maybe is a few years when the cost of entry is about 70% cheaper then yes maybe. Also until they can get rid of the silly glasses I do not know to many people wanting to wear these silly glasses just to play a game.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What are those lines between the screens? Oh yeah, it's the black plastic the monitors are made of! Three monitor gaming = FAIL.[/citation]
It maybe fail but I bet it would look good on your dual socket motherboard.

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Once this technology matures, then it will be a revelation.

Although 3D is something I see as more of a fad; for the next 2-4 years it will be huge, then it will fade into oblivion.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]CaptainBib[/nom]Once this technology matures, then it will be a revelation.Although 3D is something I see as more of a fad; for the next 2-4 years it will be huge, then it will fade into oblivion.[/citation]

3D has been coming and going for decades. I wasn't impressed 20 years ago and I'm not impressed now.

Well, it certainly would be cool but honestly who has the money to spend on 3 3D monitors? Plus you would need a hell of a video card setup as well.

Say the monitors are $200 each.
Then your gonna need a couple good video cards say $150 - $200 each.

So 200 X 3 = 600
Plus 150 X 2 = 300
So we are talking $900 on the low end.
Up to about $1,500 on the higher end.
Plus these monitors are 3D meaning $200 is unrealistic. It would be more like $350 on the low end.

Because of the extremely high cost of having 3 monitors I don't see it really taking off. If you ask me it's just a way for nVidia and ATi to try and lower the frame rates of your games so you need to buy a better video card and spend more money. Because, lets be honest, that is what they want.

If you want a big monitor do like I did... I have a 37" LCD HDTV that I used as my monitor. With 0% intrest I pay on $28 a month. I don't care if you work at McDonalds that price is doable.

spartanii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Ok how about OLED Glasses with some sort of gyroscopic sensor that when you turn your head the screen turns too. I thought OLED tech was suppose to be coming. Or how about this metal rod that you shove into the back of your skull then your mind gets downloaded into some sort of cyperspace world. I swear if they ever invent true virtual reality, like the holodeck from star trek, the human race will slowly die out.

czarmurphy

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
This may sound naive and fiscally illogical for the manufacturers, but what if they made monitors specifically designed for multi-monitor gaming? For example, some monitors could be made lacking a side of bezel (the left or right monitor, depending on which side of missing), and other monitors could be missing both sides (the monitors that come in between). Like I said, this may be infeasible for the market, but it would definitely be a solution.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
When they come out with glasses which use pinpoint, safe and low-powered lasers to write directly to the retina as many virtually-mounted displays (Using wireless to display directly from the video card in the motherboard to the lasers without wires and gyroscopes or motion detection to know where you set the displays (settable via hand movements or a small flywheel device) and where you're looking at) as you could want at almost any size and resolution (Includuing full-360 degree viewing along *both* axis), then come back to me about 3D and 3D gaming.

Plastic glasses and physcial monitors are so so late 20th century. ^_^

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RavnosCC[/nom]I have a question: Could you explain how the bezels are compensated for in 3D Surround mode? I am trying to imagine how having 2-3 inch spaces in between each projected image would look in 3 dimensions... Having difficulty, but maybe a short explanation?[/citation]

There is bezel compensation as an option, but the way I had the monitors set up, you put the two surrounding displays *behind* the center screen, effectively eliminating their bezels from the equation.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]I wish I could afford all of that hardware ... alas not.The Samsung 120HZ 24" monitor, glasses and GTX card cost us arond $780.Played it for a few days and got sore eyes.Gave it to the kids.They played with the glasses for a week.Now the glasses are in a drawer.Not much more to tell really.The whole experience with the glasses reminded me of:The yoyoThe pogo stickThe hat with the beer cans on top of it and the tubesThe Bling "Gaming" case with neons that I disconnectedThe SuperfloppyThe external CD BurnerThe ex-wifeAll terribly short experiences of delight (dynamic quality) followed by a feeling of bewilderment and a sense that I had been played by a consumerist market.C Wright Mills please save me ... from myself.Chris ... is there a cure ?[/citation]

I hear ya, Rey. Shoot, I'm still using a five-year old cell phone, because every time I start pricing out plans I think to myself "You *would* like me to pay that much for something new, wouldn't you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.