[SOLVED] NVIDIA 550ti reaching 95c ?

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Hey, so i'm working on my girlfriends PC and it's all really old parts. I'll list off specs before getting into the problem.
Motherboard: Asus p7h55
CPU: Intel core I-7 860
GPU: GeForce GTX 550ti

So, this was her brothers PC so I'm not exactly comfortable / knowing of all the parts that are in it. She wanted to use it to play WoW while he's away but when i went there today the GPU was hitting 95c which i looked up and that is max temp / not normal for the GPU (the PC sounded like it was about to take flight). Especially on all low settings on the game. The wire management is horrible to say the least, lots of power cables are in the front of the PC even blocking one of the front panel case fans, with the other one not even working. The airflow is pretty bad.

My question is, if I clean up the PC, manage the wires, dust it off, do you think I could get the temps lower? I know it's a really old GPU and if it can't run a game like WoW in general I don't want to waste any time trying to wire manage and dust everything off, I'm scared to even touch anything in there lol.

EDIT: Should have put this in GPU forum section, my bad.

Solution
Definitely. The stock cooler must have been made keeping in mind the cooling requirement of that card. Dust and grime for all those years must have had clogged up the heatsink and the thermal paste would have gone past its intended use period. IMO, cleaning the GPU and the heatsinks properly will bring those back to normal; cleaning the case up will bring the temps even lower, provided airflow near the card is increased.

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
Definitely. The stock cooler must have been made keeping in mind the cooling requirement of that card. Dust and grime for all those years must have had clogged up the heatsink and the thermal paste would have gone past its intended use period. IMO, cleaning the GPU and the heatsinks properly will bring those back to normal; cleaning the case up will bring the temps even lower, provided airflow near the card is increased.

Solution

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Thanks man, I just wanted to know if it was even worth a shot. I'll take a look at cleaning it up sometime this week.

TRENDING THREADS