Nvidia 6600 card question

Decided to get a new vid card and have settled on a Nvidia 6600 type.
I'm looking at getting either a 6600 128meg or a 6600 256meg. The
128meg versions seem to run slightly faster memory, and the 256meg
has, well..........more memory. Which do you guys think would matter
most for gaming? Is any particular brand any better? I'm looking at
a ASUS card in either 128 or 256meg setups on Newegg. I know they
make decent motherboards, but don't know anything about their vid
cards...........

cpl366@hotmail.com wrote:
> Decided to get a new vid card and have settled on a Nvidia 6600 type.
> I'm looking at getting either a 6600 128meg or a 6600 256meg. The
> 128meg versions seem to run slightly faster memory, and the 256meg
> has, well..........more memory. Which do you guys think would matter
> most for gaming? Is any particular brand any better? I'm looking at
> a ASUS card in either 128 or 256meg setups on Newegg. I know they
> make decent motherboards, but don't know anything about their vid
> cards...........

Check some of the hardware sites (www.sharkyextreme.com,
www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com, etc.), they have tests and
recommendations on graphic cards. The 6600GT 128 Mb seems to be the
recommended high-mainstream card at the moment.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

> Decided to get a new vid card and have settled on a Nvidia 6600 type.
> I'm looking at getting either a 6600 128meg or a 6600 256meg. The
> 128meg versions seem to run slightly faster memory, and the 256meg
> has, well..........more memory. Which do you guys think would matter
> most for gaming? Is any particular brand any better? I'm looking at
> a ASUS card in either 128 or 256meg setups on Newegg. I know they
> make decent motherboards, but don't know anything about their vid
> cards...........

I've owned a Asus GeForce2GTS, 3ti500 and a FX5900 - all good vid cards.

ShutEye

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 02:57:55 GMT, cpl366@hotmail.com wrote:

>Decided to get a new vid card and have settled on a Nvidia 6600 type.
>I'm looking at getting either a 6600 128meg or a 6600 256meg. The
>128meg versions seem to run slightly faster memory, and the 256meg
>has, well..........more memory. Which do you guys think would matter
>most for gaming? Is any particular brand any better? I'm looking at
>a ASUS card in either 128 or 256meg setups on Newegg. I know they
>make decent motherboards, but don't know anything about their vid
>cards...........

I don't know much about the 6600 stuff but I have a Asus GeForce4 Ti
4200 128MB card and it's been working great for 4 years or so!

Gonna stick with Asus video cards!

Moondog

EVGA also makes good cards. The 128meg is GDDR3 which is why it is faster
but it would be well worth paying extra for the baseline 6800 card. Twice
the pipelines make a huge difference.

As it worked out I went to NewEgg to order a ASUS 6600, and wound up
getting a EVGA 6600GT instead....I hope its as fast as it makes out to
be.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:46:11 -0400, "BK24" <butternut@charter.net>
wrote:

>EVGA also makes good cards. The 128meg is GDDR3 which is why it is faster
>but it would be well worth paying extra for the baseline 6800 card. Twice
>the pipelines make a huge difference.

Have one in my sons PC. You won't be disappointed.