NVidia 760 or wait for the 860?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I need some advice - should I go ahead and get the NVidia 760 when it comes out in the next couple weeks or would I be wise to wait until next year to get the next generation 860? My max budget is $200 to $250 tops.

I've really been waiting for Maxwell, which was originally suppose to come out now but, got pushed back to next year. The 700 series is just a re-vamped 600 series.

I've been using a USED 4870 1g, DX 10.1, 1080
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-418.shtml

I game some and work with Adobe CS6 & want to make videos and DVD's at 1080.

My system:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
MSI: 790FX-GD70
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
HD: WD Blue 500g sata 2 at 3g/ps
GPU: HIS 4870 1g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w
Case: Antec One Illusion (w/4 fans)
CD ROM: Liteon 24x: iHAS324
Monitor: ASUS VS229H (ISP)

You have a decent video card for now. I would not recommend switching over. I have also heard that there is little difference between 600 and 700 series. It would be a nice idea to wait for 800 series and let your current card do the stuff.

It is fairly powerful one and as of now you should not have a single problem with that rig. It should play whatever game you throw at it at mid - high settings giving good fps. :)

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks for the response.

My 4870, while a great card, is now 5 or 6 years old and only has DX 10.1. I have to set most of my settings at medium. I am wondering what I'm missing out on with DX 11.1 etc. My frame rates have been fine tho.

I tried to download the Crisis 3 game when it was temporarily free on Steam but, it wouldn't even open - a box popped up to tell me that my GPU was not able to play the game.

Btw, NVidia 760 or wait for the 860?

860 ... You should wait ... They say the fruit of patience is always sweet ... and because your card isn't that bad (as I said its pretty good one, just does not support modern technology properly) I think it should be better to wait for a while and invest in a better card.

DX 11 - Consumes more power than ever, gives slightly better visuals. That is all .. :)

I'd take the GTX760. I'm in the same situation as you (used 1GB 4870, though mine is XFX) since my 5970 blew and I can't wait to get rid of it! I've just started Saints Row 3 (two years old) and have to drop everything to minimum to get fast, responsive gameplay at 1080p/4x MSAA. I wouldn't even consider Crysis 3 on it or Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3 etc. Starcraft 2 ground to a crawl on it in quite a few places (some units just weren't usable because they crippled framerates) and that's with an i7, so definitely graphics card limitation.

That is the difference between your and my card theoretically -

http://www.hwcompare.com/5935/radeon-hd-4870-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

I have i5 2500k and I can and do play all these games (Well, not all but Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Max Payne 3) and the card gives me very smooth gameplay..

If you want to go for a card now, go for GTX 770 .. Much better deal ..

Nobody who knows hardware really takes that site seriously. Though the GPUs are indeed similar and I don't doubt you get decent performance when you drop settings (or you play at low resolution? Or both?). Personally, I prefer to play at max so I'll probably pick up a GTX760 Ti. Plus I'm not planning on waiting a year or more to play Crysis 3 and anything else that won't run in DX9/10.

Those things are theoretical .. as I said above .. benchmarks will vary ..

If you want you can go for GTX 770. Costs vary by $100 but would give more performance than 760 .. I guess its needed for such a demanding game.

Go for the GTX 760 when it comes out. I wouldn't wait for the GTX 860, because it may be over a year before we see it... And when a new architecture is released it takes a while to optimize it for most games. Nvidia has a stellar history with game support, though.

Since you're stuck with a game you can't play, I'd say don't wait any longer.

Who says a GTX760 will be more expensive than a GTX660 Ti? Chances are a GTX760 Ti will only be slightly more expensive than a GTX660 Ti (like how GTX770 is only slightly above GTX670 price). So GTX760 will likely be closer to GTX660 price. Best to wait and see though - you can't assess price/performance ratio until you know the price and the performance.

Seriously - I can't imagine Nvidia releasing a GTX 760 at $250 or higher. The last 3 GTX x60 cards were released at $229 or $199.

SL97

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
If I were you I would get the hd7870 tahiti le card and overclock it, it will give you slightly better performance than a hd 7950 which comes close to a gtx 670 in some games, i think the 760 will be somewhere in between a 660ti and a 670 performance wise.
If you can stretch your budget go for a 770, it is basically a 680 on steroids and comes at a good price, until you factor in the 7970 ghz and all of its free games that is.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm in quite a pickle because I'm concerned that my current system will bottleneck if I get anything above a 760 and it will probably still bottleneck with a 760. Or am I wrong?:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
MSI: 790FX-GD70
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
HD: WD Blue 500g sata 2 at 3g/ps
GPU: HIS 4870 1g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w
Case: Antec One Illusion (w/4 fans)
CD ROM: Liteon 24x: iHAS324
Monitor: ASUS VS229H (IPS)

My budget is $200 to $250 ish right now. The 660's average between $200 to $250 while the 660ti's average between $300 to $350 while the 670 averages between $350 to $425+ ish. What If I hold out for a good Christmas deal, maybe I could get a 770 for $350 ish?

I'd love to have a 770 or 780 but my budget is the issue and, of course, they will bottleneck on my current system really bad but, with NVidias software I can pull them back enough to minimize that as much as possible.

I would consider a Radeon GPU in a similar price & performance range but, I don't need any of the games that go with being offered at Newegg right now - I'd rather have a better GPU & price w/o those games.

I'm currently liking the new NVidia GPU's specifically because I like how they're finally dissipating the heat out the rear of the computer case, rather than inside the case making everything else heat up inside the case:

"... Twice as effective as the thermal grease applied to GTX 680 GPUs, this seemingly small change allows us to push the GTX 780 harder and faster, and to reduce fan speeds when idle."

"... Finally, to remove the collected and dissipated heat, a rear-mounted fan constructed from an acoustic-dampening material blows it out through the exhaust at the rear of the computer’s chassis, and away from the card’s components.

"... exterior is comprised of cast aluminum, which dissipates heat more effectively than plastic. The fan, meanwhile, is surrounded by an injection-molded material that dissipates heat and reduces fan noise"

I'm curious about what kind of performance increase I would see going from my current HIS 4870, which is now 5 years old, to a 760 or a 760ti?

2.75 - 3 times faster. Also, Dx11 cards change their memory clocks at idle, so temps stay below 40C - and Kepler generally stays below 70C under load with any decent open air cooler, so you don't really need a slightly noisier fully-exhausting card.

Blowing the hot air out of the rear isnt a new concept, just about any reference design cooler going years back does that. Besides, if you have the case airflow to handle it then an open air cooler will perform better than a reference one, and a lot quieter.

Generally, the Radeon 7000 series outperforms the 600 series, especially once you factor in overclocking. I think a HD7870 would be a good option fort you (and don't underestimate the Never Settle bundles, Two AAA games + Blood Dragon is no small thing).

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Ok, thanks, I didn't know that as this will be my first brand new GPU - all the others have been several years old that I got for cheap.

It does seem to go against basic common sense though as I would think that blowing the heat out the rear of the case would help keep all the components inside the case quite a bit cooler with a result in much longer lifespan & better long term performance. I was going by what NVidia said:

"... Twice as effective as the thermal grease applied to GTX 680 GPUs, this seemingly small change allows us to push the GTX 780 harder and faster, and to reduce fan speeds when idle."

"... Finally, to remove the collected and dissipated heat, a rear-mounted fan constructed from an acoustic-dampening material blows it out through the exhaust at the rear of the computer’s chassis, and away from the card’s components.

"... exterior is comprised of cast aluminum, which dissipates heat more effectively than plastic. The fan, meanwhile, is surrounded by an injection-molded material that dissipates heat and reduces fan noise"

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
So today is Computex 2013's last day with still no official announcement or release of the 760 or 760ti.

What does that mean if they make no mention of it at Computex?

http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/

Just means you'll have to wait. GTX660 Ti didn't release at the same time as GTX670 and GTX680. And GTX560 Ti didn't release same time as GTX570 and GTX580. Only reason we were expecting it at Computex is because that's what the rumours told us (and it looks like Gainward believed those same rumours :)).

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
This just in ...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 To Be Released On June 25th

"NVIDIA will probably release its mid-range GeForce GTX 760 graphics card on June 25th.

The 26th week is most likely the launch week of the latest addition to NVIDIA’s GeForce 700 series. We are looking at two dates, June 25th (Tuesday) or June 27th (Thursday). Earlier reports suggested that GTX 760 would arrive in the mid-June, but for some reasons the launch was postponed by a week. Although it is believed, that the delay is caused by AIB partners who were not yet ready for the transition to the new card. The transition is the key word here, because the GTX 760 would be nothing else than the GTX 670 itself.

While the specs are not yet verified, some sources claim GeForce GTX 760 would be a faster variant of the GTX 670. We are expecting a higher clockrate on both the graphics processor and the memory.

However..

According to our previous reports the GTX 670 would be replaced by GTX 760 Ti, whereas the GTX 760 would be a rebadged GTX 660 OEM (the one with 1152 CUDAs). Thus, we have conflicting information and we are still unsure whether the GTX 760 is indeed the GTX 670 under a new name, or it’s rather the Ti variant. What is known for sure is that NVIDIA is planning only one card for June, which is the non-Ti model....."