nvidia 7600gs screen freezes

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Recently, every once in a while (it has happened 30 minutes after computer boots up, 3 hours, 10 hours, etc its random) my screen freezes and it looks like a mixture of colors all messed up. But whenever my screen freezes, the computer is still responding for about 10 secs (i can hear sound, can type, move my mouse, etc all while the screen is frozen and i cant see anything). Ive noticed that it shows an Nvidia error message whenever it freezes but the text is all unreadable... is there somewhere where i can see logs of these errors ?

Also, this 7600gs is a replacement that nvidia sent me. My original 7600gs broke and they sent me my current one. I dont remember if they require proof of purchase in order to replace/fix broken things? Does any1 know if i need to have my receipt from the original 7600gs i bought? or is the serial on the vid card enough?

Intel dual core 6300 @ 1.88gh no overclock
PSU: FSP ax400-pn (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953)
Ram - 2x512 of corsair
Motherboard - Gigabyte 945P-S3
Vid card-nvidia 7600gs no overlock (ive tried changing drivers and reslotting the card)
samsung 226bw 22inch DVI

Might be a PSU/GPU/Mobo issue or more, not sure right now. Can you give us all of your specs, please. We can do it shotgun style, but that wouldn't help anyone out. Make sure you get the Make/model of the PSU and what the amps are on the 12V rail(s).

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Intel dual core 6300 @ 1.88gh no overclock
PSU: FSP ax400-pn
Vid card : nvidia 7600gs no overlock (ive tried changing drivers and reslotting the card)

I see the case/PSU now, thanks for that. Apevia isn't the best PSU out there, so could be a possible suspect. What are you doing when the "freeze" occurs?
You didn't list your mobo, RAM make/model, and OS. It's possible that your video drivers are FUBAR and just need to be uninstalled with driver cleaner and re-installed. Do you have all of the updates on your OS?
My initial thoughts were 1) PSU 2) GPU 3) Memory 4) Mobo. Not necessarialy in that order. If you have a compatible 2nd output on your video card, you can try that. I had a 7600gs AGP have similar issues and the analog output failed, so I plugged my CRT into the DVI port (with adapter, of coarse) and that worked. It didn't run 100% after the initial problem, so I returned for refund.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Update: I just realized im not using the apevia psu anymore. I forgot that i purchased a new one because the old apevia one crapped out.. right now im using a FSP ax400-pn (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953)

As for ram, im using 2x512 of corsair

Motherboard is Gigabyte 945P-S3

PS: right now im using the DVI output, but i believe i used to use analog on my old monitor and it had freezes as well... and when it does freeze, i have to force reboot