Nvidia 8400 GS Not detected.

Michaelthurston

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Okay, So i bought this Card idk, about 8 months ago.

It's been a great card for my needs, and I've enjoyed it.

But As of today, It isn't detected by the monitor.

When i plug in the VGA connection to the card the screen just goes into sleep mode, like it's not receiving a signal.

But when it's in the regular on board VGA it works fine.

DVI connection does the same thing, monitor goes into sleep mode.

The only thing that i can think of, is when i was putting the card and case lid back on today, The computer fell on it's side. Nothing major, just a slip.

But after that it wouldn't work.

The Fan on the card still comes on, so i know it's not the PCI-E slot.

Does anyone know what's going on here? is my card just maybe dead?

Please Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Sorry, had to work ALL day today...

I'd start by removing and re-seating everything inside the PC - All cards, RAM, power connections, cables to drives, etc., with the exception of the CPU. Unless you actually have some thermal grease or can get some, leave the CPU alone, as the heatsink will likely come off the CPU itself when you remove it. Try booting after you're certain everything is in place and secure.

Michaelthurston

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've already Tried that, Twice.

You don't think the PCI-E card is busted do you?

I could make sure by looking in Hardware manager, but what would i look for exactly?

Michaelthurston

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The only way i can get a video signal is if i plug into the onboard VGA.

It hardware manager WITH the 8400 in, it doesn't detect it. Is my PCI-E busted?

What should i look for in mainboard devices, because i do see PCI-E bus

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
You won't find the actual slots listed in device manager. PCI-E bus is all that appears.

Have you tried disabling the on-board VGA and setting the Primary VGA Adapter to PCI-Express in the BIOS? If not, try that. If so, unless you have another card to try in the PCI-E x16 slot, there's no way of knowing if the slot was damaged. Similarly, you don't know if the card was damaged unless you can try another PCI-E video card in that system, or try your card in another system and see if it works.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
OK... wait a minute... You're not saying Windows doesn't detect the card, only that the monitor doesn't detect/show any video from it? Is that what you're saying? Is the video card actually installed and listed in Device Manager properly?

Michaelthurston

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
No, Heres the skinny.

When the card is plugged in, The fan runs. So i assume it's getting power.
When i plug a VGA into the card, The monitor receives no signal.
When i plug into the onboard, with the card STILL in the system, Windows does not detect it.

And How would i set the VGA adapter in BIOS, I've scrolled through it and i don't have the option, I believe i have pheonix award BIOS or something like that

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
When using a graphics card in a system that has on-board VGA, you should still perform the steps in the BIOS that I explained. And I would still try that now with only the video card connected to the monitor.

Sorry I wasn't quite following your description of the problem. It just wasn't clear to me if the issue was happening while trying to POST the system, while in Windows, or a combination of both. To be honest, I'm still not 100% certain which it is.

Michaelthurston

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I just went in BIOS, And there was no option in there to disable On-board VGA...but oh well like i said I've got a new card. Thanks for your help anyway.

varunjay88

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
HI I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...I HAVE AN INTEL D915 GAG MB AND A GEFORCE 6600 LE GRAPHIC CARD...

MY SPECS R AS FOLOWS....

3.0 GHZ P4 PROCESSOR
160 GB SATA HDD
GEFORCE 6600 LE 256 MB PCI-E CARD
512 MB OF RAM
400W PSU

MY CARD HAS BEEN WORKING FINE FOR OVER AN YEAR, AND SUDDENLY ONE DAY THE DISPLAY ON THE MONITOR WENT OFF...IT APPEARS AS IF ITS LIKE IN STAND BY MODE...I TRIED EVERYTHING FROM UPDATING THE BIOS, RESEATING THE CARD, CHANGING THE VIDEO IN BIOS TO PCI-E ETC..EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PC WITH THE VGA CABLE OF THE MONITOR CONNECTED TO THE CARD EVERYTHING BOOTS UP FINE, HDD Etc.., THE FAN ON THE PCI-E CARD RUNS BUT NO DISPLAY ON THE SCREEN....WINDOWS IS NOT DETECTING MY CARD AT ALL...I DNT KNW HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS..PL HELP..

Sondar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello RazberyBandit
My name is Soumik,

My email ID is --> samfromhell@gmail.com

I am having the same problem

I am having Zotac 8400 GS graphic card. When ever i install it into my pci xpress x16 slot, i dont get any display on monitor, n the monitor goes off to sleep, when i connect to onboard vga slot along with my external zotac graphic card installed, stil there is no display. i have even tried by changing the graphic adapter to pci express x16 in bios. but still no result. The graphic card does get heated up when installed and cpu is on. but no display. the heating of graphic card denotes that it is getting the power. I have a psu of 400W and the graphic card zotac 8400 GS requires minimum of 300W

My system config is

E7500 2.98Ghz
3Gig Ram
Intel G41 chipset
Foxconn motherboard
The computer is of COMPAQ -- CQ3370IX

The problem is same as that of the dude " Michaelthurston "

PLease help. Its been 4 months n im unable to use the 8400 GS

My email ID is --> samfromhell@gmail.com

dilrox

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I think I too have the same problem...!! I was able to use my Sparkle Geforce 8400GS 1 gb ddr3 at first time when I installed it., but after few days monitor began to show no signal in between of usage. Whts this actually?