NVidia 8800 Ultra FPS Drops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my PC, meaning I swapped out my mobo, GPU and CPU. It is a bit older, I know, but since I my old specs ran the games I play just fine, I just wanted a little more performance. I had a few issues installing the new hardware, but after hours I got it sorted out except for this:

My new card, an nvidia 8800 Ultra, keeps acting up. Whenever I am in-game I notice several performance improvements, however, after a short while my screen goes black and the FPS drops to half. It is still playable, however it then does the exact same thing and drops to about half again. I have changed all settings to the same settings I was running on my old 8800 GTX, and this still happens!

I am monitoring my temperature via MSI Afterburner and the temperature seems to hang at around 60-70 Celsius. But when I run bench marking software, I have seen the temperature peek off at 90 Celsius! Also, I have not seen the usage of my GPU go above 50% while in-game, most I saw was 44%.

My specs are:

nvidia 8800 Ultra (soon to be two of them).
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.6 GHz
ASUS P5N-D mobo
750w PSU

It is worthwhile to note that I have also noticed that the air coming out of my GPU is a little warm, while if I put my hand directly on top of the fan it is burning hot, could the heatsink seal be broken?

Also, what programs should I use for this kind of monitoring? The MSI Afterburner and Kombustor seem to be a little outdated.

raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Well I feel foolish. 5 mins of research and I got my answer, PCI-e 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, and from what I gathered there is also no performance loss either.

I will be returning these GPUs lol.

I will open a new thread regarding the new GPU then, once again thanks swifty.