[SOLVED] Nvidia 970 fan goes overdrive while gaming even though the frame rate is fine

Sep 14, 2021
Hi, I installed afterburner after doing some googling and even at the lowest resolutions with all options off the fan and graphic card temp goes through the roof in certain games... even in some 8bit indie pixel games it will do the same thing, lol?

the temp will rise above 90degrees and the fan sounds like the computer is going to explode. what is this? the frame rate is 100% smooth. I know in some games you can 'limit max framerate' which seemed to stop it from letting itself go crazy... so maybe that's what it is? it's trying to just force the card to run 100% ?

is there any way i can try to ''limit max frames'' externally outside of a game that doesn't have that option or something like that? so it doesn't just haywire... i still don't understand this problem or why that if the frames are fluid it still shoots the temp/fan into overdrive.

Help appreciated thanks

Solution
you can use Nvidia Control Panel to set a global max frame rate.

your frame rate being stable or "smooth" has nothing to do with how hard the GPU is working to achieve this and how much heat is being generated.

even smaller tasks will lead to higher temperatures if there isn't adequate cool air available for the GPU or adequate exhaust for the heated air.

you should be looking into much better system-wide cooling if your GPU isn't being kept cool enough.

your frame rate being stable or "smooth" has nothing to do with how hard the GPU is working to achieve this and how much heat is being generated.

even smaller tasks will lead to higher temperatures if there isn't adequate cool air available for the GPU or adequate exhaust for the heated air.

you should be looking into much better system-wide cooling if your GPU isn't being kept cool enough.

Solution
Sep 14, 2021
i mean it will run run over 90 degrees... that is insane... on a pixel game? while certain games that are more optimized or something i guess? like the more recent detroit beyond human don't run that hot at all... i just don't get it

i read something about the psu might be failing... but this overheating thing is new within the past year, it's like a 4-5 year old pc

Sep 14, 2021

i ran a malwarebytes scan a month ago or so and found a bitcoin.miner.trojan but its since been removed... or has it? hmmm... i thought that might be the culprit but idk

If the PSU was failing then you wouldn't get an overheated GPU but you would have a shutting down or a restarting system/black screens and possible GPU damage.

Your overheating seems to be from the thermal paste that has probably dried out. You need to repaste and clean the cooler and fans of GPU.

Sep 14, 2021
If the PSU was failing then you wouldn't get an overheated GPU but you would have a shutting down or a restarting system/black screens and possible GPU damage.

Your overheating seems to be from the thermal paste that has probably dried out. You need to repaste and clean the cooler and fans of GPU.

that sounds like a possibility... ill look into that. sounds a bit complicated

If you are not experienced enough and you lack the confidence (not a bad thing, especially with the GPU prices at the moment) you can always go to your local repair shop and ask them to do it for you.

If you like to try, watch a YouTube video for your specific card on how to do it.

Sep 14, 2021

last thing... i don't see anywhere in NVIDIA Control Panel to change the global frame rate... where exactly is that? I've been looking through every category... tried to google it to no avail

EDIT : Nevermind, found it. thanks for your responses

EDIT 2 : And?! That's keeping it cool! Thanks so much, will look into the thermal paste and fans, cheers

last thing... i don't see anywhere in NVIDIA Control Panel to change the global frame rate... where exactly is that? I've been looking through every category... tried to google it to no avail

EDIT : Nevermind, found it. thanks for your responses