Question Nvidia 980 4gb fan issue

Sep 25, 2021
My gtx 980 i bought has been fine since I bought it ,no issues. Then yesterday it just stopped working, didnt touch or remove the gpu what so ever for it to get damaged. I took it out and looked at fans and lubed them up and still does not spin. With msi afterburner if i overload fan speed to 100 it kicks on and stays on, other then that it does not work. I am frustrated please help. (also does not turn on under load or stress tests.
This is my gpu https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/14-121-992-Z01.jpg

My gtx 980 i bought has been fine since I bought it ,no issues. Then yesterday it just stopped working, didnt touch or remove the gpu what so ever for it to get damaged. I took it out and looked at fans and lubed them up and still does not spin. With msi afterburner if i overload fan speed to 100 it kicks on and stays on, other then that it does not work. I am frustrated please help. (also does not turn on under load or stress tests.
This is my gpu https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/14-121-992-Z01.jpg
could you provide the pc full specs, also a gpuz screenshot of your gpu?

Sep 25, 2021
I will try this but I am already on the latest driver for my gpu through geforce experience.
I have tried ddu, and disconnecting and going into safe mode to uninstall drivers. I now have a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers and still the fan is not spinning on lower speeds with the other gpu fan.

Sep 25, 2021
so this happens after you lubed the fans?
This has been happening before i lubed the fans. I saw it wasn't spinning and having issues starting to spin so i removed frame and screws to lube the fans. It does not spin unless i overload fan speed to about 85-90% through MSI afterburner. Randomly kicks on when gaming too.

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
Case fan mod/ghetto mod/ziptie gpu mod.
Look for it, if you cant find a replacement for the gpu fan.
Connect them to the motherboard and then use FanControl(download from Github) to control the curve.
Should improve the temp as well.

D

Deleted member 2892393

Had almost the same problem today with my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC WindForce (2x fans). After running a program (which was not a virus lmao) the left GPU fan started spinning at max speed (1500rpm) and the right one was struggling to spin. Aorus Engine didn't do anything. Then I noticed a weird smell from the fan and immediately shut it down. After cleaning the pcb + fans the problem still remained. Then I decided to remove Aorus engine and just wait. After a few hours I reinstalled Aorus Engine and the fans worked perfectly.

Sep 25, 2021
Had almost the same problem today with my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC WindForce (2x fans). After running a program (which was not a virus lmao) the left GPU fan started spinning at max speed (1500rpm) and the right one was struggling to spin. Aorus Engine didn't do anything. Then I noticed a weird smell from the fan and immediately shut it down. After cleaning the pcb + fans the problem still remained. Then I decided to remove Aorus engine and just wait. After a few hours I reinstalled Aorus Engine and the fans worked perfectly.
I will try uninstalling MSI afterburner and wait and see if that changes thank you for the advice.