Discussion NVIDIA "Ampere" GPU to offer 10-20% IPC increase over Turing, 4x RT performance, and up to 2 GHz OC clocks. *RUMOR*

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, before I start talking about Ampere, remember that rumours must always be taken with a huge grain of salt. Even the most reliable of sources can be given incorrect information, and vital details about future products could always be missing, or subject to change, until their official unveiling.

Though, I still think there is some credibility in this source IMO. Some of the points might hold true.

Nvidia's next-gen AMPERE GPUs are highly anticipated by Gamers and enthusiasts alike. Now some fresh information pertaining to NVIDIA's upcoming Ampere architecture was revealed by one YouTube channel, "Moore's Law is Dead". "Tom" in this video claims to have insider sources associated with this entire launch.

According to his source, "Ampere" architecture is expected to offer a 10-20% IPC increase, with 4X the Ray Tracing performance/RTX, and clocks that can be easily pushed to 2 GHz and above. It will also offer double the TENSOR cores per SM.

Most importantly NVIDIA is working on an overhauled "software stack" to counter AMD's Radeon Adrenalin Software. According to Tom's video, Ampere is not just a DIE shrink (from 14nm to 7nm) with additional RT cores, but instead it's an "overhaul" of the previous gen Turing architecture.

This part of the video is most interesting. It looks like Nvidia is going to introduce something called "NVCache" with the Ampere lineup, which will act similar to AMD's technology that debuted with Vega GPUs, which was HBCC (High Bandwidth Cache Controller). Similar to HBCC, NVCache will use some of the system RAM and SSD on any system, and it will optimize the VRAM usage, offering reduced "game" load times as well.

According to Tom, Ampere will cater to both HPC and Gaming segments. Ampere will also bring support for DLSS 3.0 that should work with any game that uses TAA.

There is a possibility that the GeForce "Gaming" cards could be fabbed on Samsung's 8nm process, while the HPC variants could go the TSMC 7nm route, though this is not final.

According to this YT source, the next-gen GeForce RTX 3060 "mid-range" GPU could have Ray Tracing performance similar to the now-flagship RTX 2080 Ti card.

We should hear all about Ampere (or at least as much as NVIDIA will share) during its GTC 2020 keynote in a few days. One more important point to remember though. There won't be any GTX cards in the entire Ampere lineup, since even the lowest spec cards are speculated to feature at least a few RT cores. So we should not expect any non-RT GPU.

Tom's sources say NVIDIA is likely to announce Ampere HPC products during the GTC 2020 pre-recorded keynote, with the consumer GeForce lineup expected to be announced sometime in September. Needless to say, things are going to get interesting in the coming months.

These are some speculated NVIDIA Ampere GPU specs. I suggest taking any leak with a "grain of salt" though.

GA102 - 84 SMs / 5376 CUDA cores / 12GB GDDR6 / 384-bit bus - 40% faster than RTX 2080 Ti.

GA103 - 60 SMs / 3840 CUDA cores / 10GB GDDR6 / 320-bit bus - 10% faster than RTX 2080 Ti.

GA104 - 48 SMs / 3072 CUDA cores / 8GB GDDR6 / 256-bit bus - 5% slower than RTX 2080 Ti.

72400_02_nvidia-ampere-rumor-next-gen-geforce-has-no-perf-hit-with-rtx-on.png

72400_01_nvidia-ampere-rumor-next-gen-geforce-has-no-perf-hit-with-rtx-on.png

This is why I told my friends to wait for RTX 3000, so it has time to mature and a be a better product worth the cost. I might go for the more expensive 3080 instead of "mid" range 3070.

What do you think about the pricing of these new AMPERE GPUs ? Will Nvidia again charge a premium for these RTX cards ? I don't think they are going to face any tough competition from AMD's Big NAVI RDNA2 cards as well.

At least on the high-end, Nvidia will still remain dominant imo.

Last edited:
What do you think about the pricing of these new AMPERE GPUs ? Will Nvidia again charge a premium for these RTX cards ? I don't think they are going to face any tough competition from AMD's Big NAVI RDNA2 cards as well.

At least on the high-end, Nvidia remain dominant imo.
Very likely similar pricing to RTX 2000 at release. I probably won't be buying until prices drop 15-20%. If Nvidia can manage to get higher yields with Ampere than they did with Turing, we might see better pricing than with Turing on release. AMD really needs to get some high-end competition out the door very soon.

If Nvidia can manage to get higher yields with Ampere than they did with Turing, we might see better pricing than with Turing on release.

Getting higher yields might be a tough job for Nvidia, imo. Apart from that, these new RTX cards are going to feature RT and TENSOR cores on the hardware level, so the DIE is going to be huge, and it might be expensive to manufacture such chips.

Though I hope I'm wrong. I really want to upgrade my RX 480 GPU. I will go for a 2K setup, and I'm looking at this Ampere Lineup of cards.

I'm not much optimistic about AMD's next-gen RDNA2 GPUs though.

Last edited:
they probably retain turing price structure. but the mid range probably will in quite a mess. the x60 part is a bit confusing right now. officially the new x60 positioning is $350. but x50 (and it's Ti or super variant) still pretty much occupy $150 to $180 space. so there is huge gap between x50 and x60 product positioning. i don't think we going to see another 16 series case for the next round of GPU. there must be something to fill that $250 sweet spot.

well nvidia can return to pascal pricing structure but AIB will going to freak out seeing the profit margin opportunity being lowered and AMD probably will not happy even if they have RDNA2 in their hands haha.

officially the new x60 positioning is $350. but x50 (and it's Ti or super variant) still pretty much occupy $150 to $180 space. so there is huge gap between x50 and x60 product positioning.
Are you forgetting about the GTX 1660, 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti currently filling the $200-$300 range? And a number of RTX 2060s can be found for as little as $300 now.

I agree that the lineup is a bit messed up with having two completely different "x60" cards available at different price points and performance levels though. I suspect they may drop the separate GTX and RTX lines, and just make everything (aside from perhaps the most budget cards) RTX, with some amount of raytracing hardware. Perhaps they will pick a launch price between the 1660 and 2060 cards for the new models filling that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.